ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Benefit for EEA PR Holder

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Skrzyplocz
Newly Registered

Housing Benefit for EEA PR Holder

Post by Skrzyplocz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:17 am

Hi,
I just got off from a phonecall with a council worker who claims I cannot claim Housing Benefit as an EEA national who's a permanent resident in UK, citing that according to new rules, only people who have a genuine and effective work can claim (I currently don't).
Indeed, it appears that rules have changed in 2014. However, it also appears that those new rules don't apply for people who are permanent residents (i.e. 5 years exercising treaty rights). I have a document certifying permanent residence, so I think I'm eligible.
Who's right here?

alijawad786
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Housing Benefit for EEA PR Holder

Post by alijawad786 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 am

Tell you a trick sign up with employment agency and take a letter from them.....or do a work for week or two

having PR document doesnt allow you to get benefits/ specially housing benefit you have to have some job to apply them because they put you under a category.
so yeah council is right pal
Ali J/-\\/\//-\D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:49 am

alijawad786 wrote:having PR document doesnt allow you to get benefits/ specially housing benefit you have to have some job to apply them because they put you under a category.
Nonsense. Many unemployed people, settled/PR or BC, get housing benefit. Most though claim JSA or ESA etc as well.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Skrzyplocz
Newly Registered

Post by Skrzyplocz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 pm

CR001 wrote:
alijawad786 wrote:having PR document doesnt allow you to get benefits/ specially housing benefit you have to have some job to apply them because they put you under a category.
Nonsense. Many unemployed people, settled/PR or BC, get housing benefit. Most though claim JSA or ESA etc as well.
That's what I thought.
I spent another 20 minutes talking to another council worker and then his supervisor. Each tried to give me different reasons for why I'm not eligible - either that I didn't work in UK for 5 years (I assume that it's their lousy interpretation of the PR requirements, forgetting about 'Student' and 'Self-sufficient' categories), or that I don't have a family member. When I started presenting valid arguments, they told me to send them an email with an explanation instead.

Now, I have found plenty of evidence that I am eligible, but can someone kindly point me to the actual regulation I would fall under? As I said, I have a PR (issued Feb 2017, permanent residence obtained Sep 2012). In the past years I've been mostly a student, and in the past 3 months self-sufficient - although I assume this doesn't matter anyway.

alijawad786
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by alijawad786 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Skrzyplocz wrote:
CR001 wrote:
That's what I thought.
I spent another 20 minutes talking to another council worker and then his supervisor. Each tried to give me different reasons for why I'm not eligible - either that I didn't work in UK for 5 years (I assume that it's their lousy interpretation of the PR requirements, forgetting about 'Student' and 'Self-sufficient' categories), or that I don't have a family member. When I started presenting valid arguments, they told me to send them an email with an explanation instead.

Now, I have found plenty of evidence that I am eligible, but can someone kindly point me to the actual regulation I would fall under? As I said, I have a PR (issued Feb 2017, permanent residence obtained Sep 2012). In the past years I've been mostly a student, and in the past 3 months self-sufficient - although I assume this doesn't matter anyway.

let me know what they say, i have been let down many times too on the basis i wasnt employed altough i am on EEA 5 yrs card.
its not a non sense get a xxxxxxx grip Moderator edit: Please desist from posting offensive language on the forum
Ali J/-\\/\//-\D

Skrzyplocz
Newly Registered

Post by Skrzyplocz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:30 pm

alijawad786 wrote:let me know what they say, i have been let down many times too on the basis i wasnt employed altough i am on EEA 5 yrs card.
its not a non sense get a xxxxx grip
One thing I forgot to add, is that I already managed to receive Housing Benefit in 2012, based on my permanent residence - even though I did not have a Document Certifying PR yet! True, it required an appeal, but in the end the caseworker agreed with my reasoning that I am a PR and eligible for HB. Now, I realise that the regulations regarding HB for EEA nationals have changed in 2014, but as far as I'm aware these did not include any changes for permanent residents.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:11 pm

The council is clearly uninformed and in the wrong - if you have PR you are entitled to social assistance on the same terms as British citizens (it even states it on the PR document).
If they continue to be difficult, contact the charity Shelter for assistance, they are really good!
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Skrzyplocz
Newly Registered

Post by Skrzyplocz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Okay, I got a letter from the Council. It lists a few ways I could be eligible for Housing Benefit. The final one is:
"As an EEA National you are eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you have legally resided in the UK continuously for five years and have been economically active by working or registering as available for work with Jobcentre Plus"
Is there any legal basis for wanting to be economically active from a permanent resident? Or should I prepare to fight the council on that?

rooibos
Member of Standing
European Union

Post by rooibos » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:33 pm

Just send them a copy of your PR under threat of breaching your human rights if they refuse to accept it as evidence.

Incidentally I also had my application for HB refused on the ground I am a "person from abroad". This is ridiculous but indicative of tougher approach.

mhamdsamy

Post by mhamdsamy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:39 pm

Skrzyplocz wrote:Hi,
I just got off from a phonecall with a council worker who claims I cannot claim Housing Benefit as an EEA national who's a permanent resident in UK, citing that according to new rules, only people who have a genuine and effective work can claim (I currently don't).
Indeed, it appears that rules have changed in 2014. However, it also appears that those new rules don't apply for people who are permanent residents (i.e. 5 years exercising treaty rights). I have a document certifying permanent residence, so I think I'm eligible.
Who's right here?
i applied for jsa and housing benfits 1 month 2013
1 month 2014 they always stop paying if your jsa allowance stopped
and after i was working they sent me letter asking about how many hours and income details
but i didnt answer because i didnt need it ... so I THINK you have to be recieving jsa or working to get it
i dont know anything about the new rules or the HB test . becuse i only applied befor it . ta