ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to tell Initial from Second Stage

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chels
Mood:
Ireland

How to tell Initial from Second Stage

Post by chels » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi there,

I have some queries about "Second Stage" & I was hoping others could share their insights / experience. I have tried to phrase these questions in a general way so that they are helpful to other applicants who might find this fantastic forum via desperate Google searches (like I originally did!), however I will also provide some specific context for my questions below. Many thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in :)

* Does INIS always send a Second Stage letter by post in all cases?

or ...

* Do they only send a physical letter if there is some complexity to the application?

*Are additional documents only asked for during the 'Initial Stage' (i.e. is it a pre-requisite to pass from Initial to Second Stage that all application documents requested are received?)

* If no physical letter is received to inform of Second Stage but emailing them gets a reply saying 'Your application continues to be processed', does this mean Second Stage or still Initial Stage?

Quick context: It is 8 weeks now since my application was received (not a long time I know) but after seeing a post on this forum from last year which estimated 4-8 weeks for the second stage, I became curious and emailed INIS today. The response I received back was: Your application continues to be processed. While it is not possible to give an exact time frame, this office will be in touch as soon as a decision has been reached. I am hoping the word 'continues' may suggest that my application has reached Second Stage but I have not received any physical letter from INIS other than my acknowledgment. I also remember reading somewhere else on this forum that Second Stage letters don't always get sent out anymore - but I can't find that post now!

Application Based On: Civil Partner of Irish Citizen, 5 years residency
Applied On: 19th Jan, 2017
Application Received On: 20th Jan, 2017
Acknowledgement: (Dated) 31st Jan, 2016 (Received) 3rd Feb, 2017
Original Passport Returned On: 3rd Feb, 2017
Second Letter: Pending
Approval Letter: Pending

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: How to tell Initial from Second Stage

Post by max307 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Does INIS always send a Second Stage letter by post in all cases?

- Not in all cases I can say that for sure, some received their approval without Second Stage letter and some received Second Stage letter and then approval.

Do they only send a physical letter if there is some complexity to the application?

- No, they also send other letters even if there is no complexity. If you send them something (change of address, employment, etc.) they will send you a letter acknowledging that.

Are additional documents only asked for during the 'Initial Stage' (i.e. is it a pre-requisite to pass from Initial to Second Stage that all application documents requested are received?)

- No. Some were asked for documents at Initial Stage and some were asked for documented at Advanced Stage.

If no physical letter is received to inform of Second Stage but emailing them gets a reply saying 'Your application continues to be processed', does this mean Second Stage or still Initial Stage?

- Looking at your timeline and the answer from INIS you are currently at Initial Stage, send them an e-mail asking if the application has been initially assessed just to be sure.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

iCloud
- thin ice -

Post by iCloud » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:15 pm

chels wrote:Hi there,

I have some queries about "Second Stage" & I was hoping others could share their insights / experience. I have tried to phrase these questions in a general way so that they are helpful to other applicants who might find this fantastic forum via desperate Google searches (like I originally did!), however I will also provide some specific context for my questions below. Many thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in :)

* Does INIS always send a Second Stage letter by post in all cases?

or ...

* Do they only send a physical letter if there is some complexity to the application?

*Are additional documents only asked for during the 'Initial Stage' (i.e. is it a pre-requisite to pass from Initial to Second Stage that all application documents requested are received?)

* If no physical letter is received to inform of Second Stage but emailing them gets a reply saying 'Your application continues to be processed', does this mean Second Stage or still Initial Stage?

Quick context: It is 8 weeks now since my application was received (not a long time I know) but after seeing a post on this forum from last year which estimated 4-8 weeks for the second stage, I became curious and emailed INIS today. The response I received back was: Your application continues to be processed. While it is not possible to give an exact time frame, this office will be in touch as soon as a decision has been reached. I am hoping the word 'continues' may suggest that my application has reached Second Stage but I have not received any physical letter from INIS other than my acknowledgment. I also remember reading somewhere else on this forum that Second Stage letters don't always get sent out anymore - but I can't find that post now!

Application Based On: Civil Partner of Irish Citizen, 5 years residency
Applied On: 19th Jan, 2017
Application Received On: 20th Jan, 2017
Acknowledgement: (Dated) 31st Jan, 2016 (Received) 3rd Feb, 2017
Original Passport Returned On: 3rd Feb, 2017
Second Letter: Pending
Approval Letter: Pending
@chels

I can that max already replied all your questions, do you mind to share your timeline on this thread please ireland/2017-citizenship-approvals-time ... 22579.html using following format:

Application Based On:
Applied On:
Application received On:
Acknowledgment:
Passport Returned:
Second Letter:
Advanced Stage:
Approval:
Invitation Letter:

Thanks,
iCloud

chels
Mood:
Ireland

Post by chels » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:51 pm

@max307 thanks a mil for your speedy response and answers to all of my questions. I had a feeling I was being overambitious hoping that the fact they used the phrase 'continues to be processed' means that I am past the initial stage so its good to have that clarified. I will wait another few weeks before I contact them again but thanks for the tip as I will now make sure I ask directly whether my application has been initially assessed or not. It's funny how the responses seem to be very dependent on the actual questions asked in the email - as in they have to reply more specifically to certain buzzwords! I need to learn the lingo if that's the case! :)

@iCloud I posted my timeline on that forum as soon as I got the acknowledgement letter (am on page 2) :) I couldn't wait to post there if I'm honest as I'd been hanging around viewing other people's timelines for a while before that so wanted to do my own as soon as I could. Now I can't wait for the day when I have an update to post! Hopefully not too much longer but in the meantime this forum is a god send!

iCloud
- thin ice -

Post by iCloud » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:13 pm

chels wrote:@max307 thanks a mil for your speedy response and answers to all of my questions. I had a feeling I was being overambitious hoping that the fact they used the phrase 'continues to be processed' means that I am past the initial stage so its good to have that clarified. I will wait another few weeks before I contact them again but thanks for the tip as I will now make sure I ask directly whether my application has been initially assessed or not. It's funny how the responses seem to be very dependent on the actual questions asked in the email - as in they have to reply more specifically to certain buzzwords! I need to learn the lingo if that's the case! :)

@iCloud I posted my timeline on that forum as soon as I got the acknowledgement letter (am on page 2) :) I couldn't wait to post there if I'm honest as I'd been hanging around viewing other people's timelines for a while before that so wanted to do my own as soon as I could. Now I can't wait for the day when I have an update to post! Hopefully not too much longer but in the meantime this forum is a god send!
@chels

Sorry chels, didn't notice. Hope you will get your approval soon. Thanks, iCloud.

chels
Mood:
Ireland

Post by chels » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:16 pm

@iCloud don't worry, its easy to miss & thank you for your encouragement also! I see you got your approval recently, congratulations and all the best with the ceremony! :D :mrgreen: