ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU citizen resident travelling back to UK with US passport

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cavedirt
Newly Registered

EU citizen resident travelling back to UK with US passport

Post by cavedirt » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:46 pm

I live and work in the UK and have dual USA and Italian citizenship. My EU passport was sent to the Home Office in November as part of the application for my son's EEA Family Permit, and I have not yet received anything back. I need to travel to Canada for work, and I requested my EU passport back ~25 working days ago, but it still hasn't arrived.

Does anyone know if I would be allowed to return to the UK from Canada with my US passport and a photocopy of my EU passport? I am also leaving for a separate trip a few weeks later, so would not need to state that I am remaining in the UK indefinitely (as I would be leaving again in ~3 weeks), though I would need to say I am a UK resident.

Any information about whether I would run into immigration trouble or not returning to the UK on a US passport while my EU passport is with the Homme Office would be much appreciated.

benjus
Newly Registered

Re: EU citizen resident travelling back to UK with US passpo

Post by benjus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:52 pm

I don't suppose you have an Italian ID card, do you? That would do fine for entering the UK (well, UK border agents aren't very fond of Italian ID cards because they look like something that was knocked together in a shed with a printer and some glue, but they can't really refuse one without good reason). Personally I'd always recommend getting an ID card to use for any EEA-route applications and keeping the passport.

cavedirt
Newly Registered

Post by cavedirt » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 pm

Thanks - that sounds like a really good idea. Unfortunately I don't have one, and am unlikely to be able to get one by Wednesday next week. Certainly in the future this may be the way forward!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:51 am

Would the airline board you without a bona fide passport?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:40 am

cavedirt wrote:Does anyone know if I would be allowed to return to the UK from Canada with my US passport
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.