ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice for moving home with Canadian spouse

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JenBenM
Newly Registered

Advice for moving home with Canadian spouse

Post by JenBenM » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 am

Hi all,

Just a quick question for anyone that can help me, I would be much appreciative! I keep getting conflicting information and I'm starting to panic now!

I married a Canadian 18 months ago. I am an Irish citizen and we want to move to Ireland together. As far as I'm aware he is eligible to work in Ireland right away as we are married. Recently I heard that once he applies for Irish citizenship he is not allowed work while his application is being processed. Is this correct?! Not working isn't really feasible for most!

Also can anyone confirm how long we need to be living in Ireland before he can apply for Citizenship should he want to? I recently became a resident of Canada but am I right in thinking that there is no such equivalent status in Ireland?!

Super confused as always so thank you all in advance for you help!

Regards,
Jen

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Advice for moving home with Canadian spouse

Post by max307 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Jen,

Since your spouse is a non visa required national (Canadian citizen), you (Irish citizen) and your spouse/civil partner should attend at your local Garda National Immigration Bureau Registration office with the following documentation:

• Your original marriage/civil partnership certificate
• His Canadian original passport
• Your Irish original passport
• Evidence of your joint address

He will be given a Stamp 4 that will allow him reside and work in Ireland without the requirement of a Work Permit. Please be aware that you will need to book an appointment online using the following link.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/registration

Your spouse will only be allowed to apply for Irish naturalisation (citizenship) after 3 years of legal residence in Ireland.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP ... 2#marriage

Good luck!
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

JenBenM
Newly Registered

Post by JenBenM » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:39 am

Thank you for your speedy reply and information! Have you heard of instances where once citizenship is applied for my husband would no longer be able to work while the application is in progress? Or can he work and go on as normal during this time?!

Thanks again for getting back to me!
Jen

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:52 am

The only requirement for your husband to work is that he needs to be a holder of a valid Stamp 4. He can apply for Irish citizenship and continue to work as normal but as I mentioned before he will only be allowed to apply for Irish citizenship after 3 years of legal residence in Ireland.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.