ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travel to spain after naturailsation on indian passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mitulkumar
Newly Registered

travel to spain after naturailsation on indian passport

Post by mitulkumar » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:00 pm

Dear All,
My wife just received naturalization acceptance letter and oath ceremony is at 13 April 2017.
We have planned to go to Ibiza at 22 April 2017.
We also did not apply for passport with naturalization application so we have to apply again.
My wife also do not have schengen visa and she is going to apply for visa Monday 3rd April 2017.
My question is that can my wife travel on Indian passport with ILR card and spanish visa to Spain after taking oath? Is there any suggestion anyone can give apart from delaying oath ceremony?
Thanks

elvampiro

Re: travel to spain after naturailsation on indian passport

Post by elvampiro » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:12 pm

The moment you take the oath, you have become a naturalised British citizen.
And you are supposed to break and return the ILR BRP (failure to do so will result in a huge fine).

Neither the Indian nor the Spanish government may know about your new nationality till you tell them, but when you return to the UK after your holidays, the border force will see that you are attempting to use a BRP that is no longer valid. Your Indian passport too, is no longer valid as you will have acquired British citizenship at that point.

My advise is to avoid the situation - delay the trip till you get your British passport or book a private ceremony after your trip.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: travel to spain after naturailsation on indian passport

Post by Casa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:13 pm

To avoid a £1,000 fine, your wife is required to return her BRP to the Home Office within 5 days of attending the BC ceremony. Her ILR will be void once she holds British citizenship.

Also bear in mind that as she didn't apply through the NCS JCAP service she will have to attend an interview before the passport can be issued.

Edit: Beaten by elvampiro
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.