ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA QP - Do I need it?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hosok

EEA QP - Do I need it?

Post by hosok » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:04 pm

hello,
I am an EU citizen. I've been living and working as self-employed in the UK since July 2013 (have worked every year, filled tax return etc.).
My wife was given a 5-year resident card (EEA 2 I believe) in March 2014.

I see a lot of talking about an EEA QP now which I believe wasn't a thing in 2013. I understand it is just a certificate to confirm your rights to reside in the UK (basically, that you work and live here).

A few questions if you could kindly help me:
1. Is it basically the prior EEA 1?
2. Would I need to have it or shall I just wait for next year (July 2018, 5 years since I started living and working here) to get my permanent RC ?
3. Would it help with getting the permanent RC next year?

Thanks! :)

MrSlyFox

Re: EEA QP - Do I need it?

Post by MrSlyFox » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Hello,
hosok wrote: 1. Is it basically the prior EEA 1
Yes, EEA 1 is just the name of the form you used to apply for a residence certificate.
hosok wrote: 2. Would I need to have it or shall I just wait for next year (July 2018, 5 years since I started living and working here) to get my permanent RC ?
No, It is not required to have one. For you personally it doesn't mean you can submit less document or even make the process of applying for a document confirming your PR faster.
hosok wrote: 3. Would it help with getting the permanent RC next year?
Not in itself, It just confirms you have a right of residency on the date it was issued. I believe with the uncertainty of Brexit people just feel more confident with an official document even if just states the rights they already have.
hosok wrote: I see a lot of talking about an EEA QP now which I believe wasn't a thing in 2013.
It's been around since the beginning I believe.

hosok

Re: EEA QP - Do I need it?

Post by hosok » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 pm

MrSlyFox wrote:Hello,
hosok wrote: 1. Is it basically the prior EEA 1
Yes, EEA 1 is just the name of the form you used to apply for a residence certificate.
hosok wrote: 2. Would I need to have it or shall I just wait for next year (July 2018, 5 years since I started living and working here) to get my permanent RC ?
No, It is not required to have one. For you personally it doesn't mean you can submit less document or even make the process of applying for a document confirming your PR faster.
hosok wrote: 3. Would it help with getting the permanent RC next year?
Not in itself, It just confirms you have a right of residency on the date it was issued. I believe with the uncertainty of Brexit people just feel more confident with an official document even if just states the rights they already have.
hosok wrote: I see a lot of talking about an EEA QP now which I believe wasn't a thing in 2013.
It's been around since the beginning I believe.

Thank you for your kind and prompt response. I do appreciate it.
I think the QP doesn't make a difference when it comes to brexit, simply because if when the UK leaves EU they decide to changes to laws then this QP is going to waste. PR, however, is a different story because it is not something you can take back or change, I believe.
Would you recommend, upon applying for a PR for me (EEA) and my wife (non-EEA), to send my tax return, NI application and bank statements from 2013 to 2018, or anything extra to make their process easier?
While I know I will be eligible for PR it is much easier to have it prior to brexit.