ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent residence post-Brexit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

natalii91
Newly Registered

Permanent residence post-Brexit

Post by natalii91 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the most suitable board to post on - if not, could the Moderators please move my question to an appropriate place (I can't use the search tool unfortunately)? Thanks in advance!

I'm a EU national and I've lived in the UK (Northern Ireland, specifically) for the past 7 years. Unfortunately, however, I have only fully exercised the Treaty laws since November 2014. Before that, I studied full-time without CSI (...), but in November 2014 I got a full-time job while still in uni, and have worked full-time ever since.

All in all, I will become eligible to apply for permanent residence in November 2019. That is, unless the immigration law changes somehow in this 5-year aspect - as we all know, the UK is meant to leave the EU in March 2019. That leaves me half a year of living on some sort of a work permit, working visa or another arrangement that will be invented for people like myself.

My question is: what would you suggest I should do in my situation to best secure my chances of being able to stay in NI (and not sabotage my 5-year period)? I intend to work full-time the whole time and do my best not to become unemployed or a student with no CSI (:)), a couple of weeks ago I also applied for the Registration Certificate for my current employment (which entitles me to nothing, but at least, I reckoned, it's some sort of a document). Plus, of course, I have gathered all possible sorts of documents from 2014 until now to back up my work and residence in the UK.

Do you think it's most likely I would be allowed to continue working for my present employer as usual when the UK leaves? I know nobody really knows the answer to such questions, but perhaps people with relevant knowledge/experience have some ideas?

Thanks in advance for replies!

Attila7
Newly Registered

Re: Permanent residence post-Brexit

Post by Attila7 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Yepp, first of all, free immigration to the UK will continue until 2022 as Theresa May has just hinted today. Also the UK will negotiate a deal with the EU either this year or next year concerning the status of EU migrants living in the UK. Once our rights are secured people speculate that it will be a lot easier to get PR and citizenship for those 3 million EU migrants who have been living in the UK and been granted amnesty from the UK to remain.

No need to worry, everything will be fine.

rooibos
Member of Standing
European Union

Re: Permanent residence post-Brexit

Post by rooibos » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Attila7 wrote:Yepp, first of all, free immigration to the UK will continue until 2022 as Theresa May has just hinted today. Also the UK will negotiate a deal with the EU either this year or next year concerning the status of EU migrants living in the UK. Once our rights are secured people speculate that it will be a lot easier to get PR and citizenship for those 3 million EU migrants who have been living in the UK and been granted amnesty from the UK to remain.

No need to worry, everything will be fine.
I wish I could share your optimism!