ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP arrived in UK 12 days! How to show legal proof to work?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uscjohn
Newly Registered

HSMP arrived in UK 12 days! How to show legal proof to work?

Post by uscjohn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Arrived in London Jan 13. Have a new flat, couple of job interviews...

Oh, without credit history or employment, it is hard to rent a flat from agency. I had to pay rent of 6 months all in advance!

One of the jobs I applied to, for which I am interviewing on Monday, asked that I provided proof of legality to work in UK based on the below criteria. I assume I would show items one and two.

"Confirmation of 1 below is required together with either 2 or 3

1. Approval to take employment issued by Work Permits UK

2. A passport or other travel document endorsed to show current leave to enter or remain in the UK and is permitted to take the work permit employment in question.

3. A letter issued by the Home Office to the holder confirming the same "

No where on my HSMP visa does it say "legal to work in UK". But I assume human resources understand what an HSMP visa is! Is my HSMP approval letter the same as items "1" or "3" above? I have no letter from Home Office stating a "right to work".

There are also other documents job seekers can show to prove legality but I have none of them.

When I get my first job, the employer will get me my National Insurance Number, right?

Thanks for reading. And thanks for advice!!!

suresh-hsmp

Post by suresh-hsmp » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,
obviously, your passport endorsed with residence permit and HSMP approval letter will do and additionally, print as much information as you can from Home office site to proove your eligibility to work in UK.

if you are going to a company who previously employed people with HSMP visa, you dont see any problem, but also mind that some HR ppl does not know different type of work visas in UK as happened to my case.

If they dont know, take a brief time to explian what HSMP visa is and if they want more information ask them to call/email the employer helpline provided at homeoffice website.

And also National Insurance number is something that you need to apply and get --not your employer. Basically you need to ring NI registration number listed in HMRC website and ask for possible appointment for registration. It generally took 3 to 6 weeks depends upon where you live.For your immediate employment your employer could obtain a temporary one.

All the best with your interviews

uscjohn
Newly Registered

wow thanks Man!

Post by uscjohn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:35 pm

ok, I will do this, and when I get a job offer go get a NIN myself.

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:43 pm

Your employer can apply for your NI. The HR will ask you, if you already have a NI, else they give you a CA5407 form to fill up....

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:53 pm

SKUK wrote:Your employer can apply for your NI. The HR will ask you, if you already have a NI, else they give you a CA5407 form to fill up....
Ditto, your employer can get your NI number.
Your HSMP visa stamp is your proof you can legally work in the UK.