ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen- does ex PR sieze?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kkuk

British Citizen- does ex PR sieze?

Post by kkuk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:07 am

Good Morning fellow members,
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the following areas;

1.After becoming a British citizen, is the PR vignette siezed to be valid?.Obviously brp gets returned to the ukba, but a PR vignette is affixed in the passport , what happens to this ?

2. UKBA holds personal application records of all ex-foriegn citizens,that can be requested by SAR. Do they still keep such a records after one becomes a British Citizen?
Wish you all a fatntastic sunny afternoon.
Regards

secret.simon

Re: British Citizen- does ex PR sieze?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:34 am

When you refer to a PR vignette, do you mean an ILR vignette issued under the UK Immigration Rules or do you mean a PR vignette under the EEA Regulations?

ILR status ceases when you take the oath (or make affirmation) as a British citizen. So, an ILR vignette ceases to have any effect, even if it remains in your passport.

Whether PR status (under EU law) persists after British citizenship is as yet unclear. There is no provision in EU law as regards PR ceasing by acquiring British citizenship. The Loundes case with the ECJ/CJEU is looking into a similar issue (whether an EEA citizen who has acquired PR earlier and then British citizenship can continue to exercise treaty rights in the UK).

As regards the Home Office records, they must destroy certain biometric records relating to immigration when the person becomes a British citizen (there used to be a sticky on that, but I can't find it). They way they got around it is by getting you to submit biometrics for your citizenship application (which not being related to immigration can be kept) and they are destroyed when you enroll your biometrics for your passport. So one way or another, the Home Office has a record of your biometrics.

As regards other Home Office records, such as forms, etc, there is a thread on that topic. You may want to go through the links there to find out more.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

kkuk

Re: British Citizen- does ex PR sieze?

Post by kkuk » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Thank you secret.simon for taking out some of your valueable time to reply.
I was referring to the PR card under EEA Regulations.
So, in thorey the validity of the PR Card could be tested only by travelling on it.

Regarding the ukba records, according to the link you posted , these are held probably for a good few years.
Also you mentioned biometrics for Passport, Did you mean the same biometrics are held , the ones enrolled after the submission of the form AN as I dont recall any seprate biometrics for the passport when I applied for one..
Please note that I never had any biometrics enrolled since 2003 apart from those ones for tge form AN.

Regards