ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel after UK Naturalisation, with no UK Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

heccaet
Newly Registered

Travel after UK Naturalisation, with no UK Passport

Post by heccaet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:55 am

Hi, I'm desperate for some help.

I attended my citizenship ceremony on 5 April, with the intention of applying for my passport the following day. However, upon examination I found an error on my certificate in the "Name if different at birth" field, which should have been blank.

I spoke to about 10 different officials who told me I cannot apply for a UK passport with an incorrect certificate, and must return it to be amended, which can take up to 10 weeks.

As I was forced to destroy my Biometric Residence Permit, this therefore means that I am a brand new British Citizen with absolutely no evidence to prove it (no certificate, no BRP).

The really bad news is that I'm booked to travel in 8 weeks. I know they advise not to book any travel until you have a UK passport, but it's extraordinary that for some reason as new citizens we are punished by being grounded.

So the crux is: how can I leave the UK and still be allowed back in with no evidence that I am a UK citizen?

I have spoken to Heathrow and Gatwick border control, and they advised me to bring copies of my BRP and (incorrect) certificate when travelling. They were very helpful and said that they can check British citizenship at Border Control, but that the real problem will be whether an airline will allow me to board a plane to the UK without a visa or entry permit.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone managed to get a Confirmatin of British Nationality Status, and will airlines accept it? I'm desperate, so would appreciate any advice.

vinny

Re: Travel after UK Naturalisation, with no UK Passport

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Coincidentally, a member on another forum yesterday reported a British citizen having problems returning to the UK with a naturalisation certificate but without a British passport.
Colleagues,

My former client was recently issued with a Naturalization Certificate and duly returned his Settlement BRP card to the UK BA within the required 5 day period.

The former client then left the UK on business to Europe (non-EEA) and when attempting to return to the UK the client was twice denied boarding the plane as the air companies got in touch with the UK IS at Gatwick and received a written advice (I saw the copy) not to allow that client to border the plane. The UK IS also advised to either obtain a visa or apply for a UK passport (!). The client also shown a copy of his Settlement BRP card and the original Naturalization certificate at the airport of departure, but that did not help either…

The client duly called the British Consulate in the country where he is staying now and was advised that the British Consulate was unable to help as it was supposed to be the client’s firs passport.

I suggested that the client formally (E-mail/fax) contacts the British Consulate in that country and explains the limbo situation as well as asks his local UK MP for assistance and also probably contacts the Daily Mail etc, as this situation is getting out of control.

What else can be done in this situation ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

heccaet
Newly Registered

Post by heccaet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks vinny - it does seem pretty dire. I have contacted my UK MP and am waiting to hear back.

On that note I am going to explore the possibility of getting a UK tourist visa. I know it seems unlikely, but what you quoted has reinforced what Gatwick and Heathrow told me: that the real issue will be whether or not the will even let you on the plane.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Is it possible for you to cancel your trip?
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

heccaet
Newly Registered

Post by heccaet » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi mulderpf,

Canceling the trip will be at massive expense, and I won't lie, I'm furious that it's come to this. I've been planning this travel nearly a year, and provided ample time for passport processing: but not sufficient time for "they messed up my certificate and it takes 10 weeks to print a new one + 6 weeks passport processing".

I've just spoken to a UK-based visa consultant (xxxxxxx) and they told me that whilst it would be possible to return to my home country (South Africa) and get a tourist visa for the UK, they would not advise it as upon re-entering the UK my status wold change to "visitor", possibly jeopardizing the entire naturalisation process.

So another dead end there.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:13 pm

However, upon examination I found an error on my certificate in the "Name if different at birth" field, which should have been blank.
What was printed there that you say should not have been?

A British citizen cannot apply for a visa as they are not subject to immigration control, so that option is not available to you either.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

astonished

Post by astonished » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 pm

vinny wrote:Coincidentally, a member on another forum yesterday reported a British citizen having problems returning to the UK with a naturalisation certificate but without a British passport.
Colleagues,

My former client was recently issued with a Naturalization Certificate and duly returned his Settlement BRP card to the UK BA within the required 5 day period.

The former client then left the UK on business to Europe (non-EEA) and when attempting to return to the UK the client was twice denied boarding the plane as the air companies got in touch with the UK IS at Gatwick and received a written advice (I saw the copy) not to allow that client to border the plane. The UK IS also advised to either obtain a visa or apply for a UK passport (!). The client also shown a copy of his Settlement BRP card and the original Naturalization certificate at the airport of departure, but that did not help either…

The client duly called the British Consulate in the country where he is staying now and was advised that the British Consulate was unable to help as it was supposed to be the client’s firs passport.

I suggested that the client formally (E-mail/fax) contacts the British Consulate in that country and explains the limbo situation as well as asks his local UK MP for assistance and also probably contacts the Daily Mail etc, as this situation is getting out of control.

What else can be done in this situation ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

Out of curiosity, are you able to post a link to this other forum you refer to?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:11 pm

astonished wrote:Out of curiosity, are you able to post a link to this other forum you refer to?
We don't post links to other forums, which is likely why vinny has not posted the link. Most of them come up in a Google search.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

astonished

Post by astonished » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:59 am

CR001 wrote:
astonished wrote:Out of curiosity, are you able to post a link to this other forum you refer to?
We don't post links to other forums, which is likely why vinny has not posted the link. Most of them come up in a Google search.

I did a search for different phrases within that post but nothing came up on Google - likely because it hasn't yet been indexed by it because it is still new. Either that or it's a private forum that's hidden from Google.

Vinny, would you mind PMing me the name of the forum?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 am

astonished wrote:
CR001 wrote:

I did a search for different phrases within that post but nothing came up on Google - likely because it hasn't yet been indexed by it because it is still new. Either that or it's a private forum that's hidden from Google.

Vinny, would you mind PMing me the name of the forum?

Thanks
Members don't have the privilege of the PM facility until they have contributed 30 posts on the forum.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

heccaet
Newly Registered

Post by heccaet » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
However, upon examination I found an error on my certificate in the "Name if different at birth" field, which should have been blank.
What was printed there that you say should not have been?.

Hi CR001,
Essentially the "name at birth if different" line should have been left blank, as my name has never changed. However, somehow they interpreted one of my middle names as my surname. So the certificate read (with capitalisation showing surname):

Full name: *SURNAME* First name Middle Middle
Name at birth if different: First name Middle MIDDLE

So a small error but a catastrophic one.

safatafa
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by safatafa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:38 am

i dont think it will be a problem let me tell you why. u need to have a surname in the uk , u cant be without surname.

for ex my wife has an indian passport but her surname is in given names so
lastname : ---------
first name : Joe Blogs

but when she applied for extensions they kept using Blogs as her surname though we never filled the application that way. now that we applied for naturalization her passport still has the blank surname but i know for a fact they are going it. i dont think it should be a problem but seniors can advise if i am wrong.

heccaet
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Certificate Amendments - processing time

Post by heccaet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:10 am

Hi,

I had to return my Naturalisation Certificate for amendments. Has anyone done this recently? How long did it take them to make the amendments and get the certificate back to you?

If anyone has gone through this process and has contact details for the relevant section of the Home Office, I'd greatly appreciate if you shared them.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:24 pm

safatafa wrote:i dont think it will be a problem let me tell you why. u need to have a surname in the uk , u cant be without surname.

for ex my wife has an indian passport but her surname is in given names so
lastname : ---------
first name : Joe Blogs

but when she applied for extensions they kept using Blogs as her surname though we never filled the application that way. now that we applied for naturalization her passport still has the blank surname but i know for a fact they are going it. i dont think it should be a problem but seniors can advise if i am wrong.
Your post is irrelevant to this situation. The OP has a surname, first and middle name.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

vinny

Re: Naturalisation Certificate Amendments - processing time

Post by vinny » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Updates:
Now, there is a development here.

The client contacted the FCO and received and apology from them via E-mail and the advise from then to either apply for a British Passport OR apply for a UK Visitor Visa. I have seen a document sent to me via Whatsapp this morning.

The former client has lodged the Priority Visitor Visa application today and will turn up at the UK VAC on Monday.

I did warn him to bring the E-mail from the FCO as well as suggested that his application may well “surprise” the UK VAC as in fact it contradicts the Rules: a) he is a British citizen and b) he does not intend to return (Appendix V)

Anyway, I will hope to keep update the forum on the relevant developments.
However, as expected:
Update

This Monday that ex-client applied for a priority service visitor visa. The application was accepted.

Then, today, the client received an email from the Moscow UK VAC advising him to withdraw his visitor visa application for obvious reasons and instead to either apply for a Right of Abode or a UK passport.

I also received copies of the relevant emails from the FCO and the UK VAC. I plant to summarize them and inform ILPA accordingly.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

heccaet
Newly Registered

Post by heccaet » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks for the update vinny,

That's what I was advised would happen if I tried to get a UK visa as a British citizen - that firstly it's not allowed because I'm a citizen, but secondly that if I did actually succeed that upon re-entry to the UK I could be "re-classified" as a tourist, and effectively UNDO all the steps I have taken towards naturalisation.

heccaet
Newly Registered

Post by heccaet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:58 pm

Update:

I received my amended certificate 15 days after submitting it for amendment. :D

Summary of events:
Date of citizenship ceremony: Wednesday 6 April 2017
Date of submission for amendment: Thursday 7 April 2017 (Certificate mailed with supporting doc - birth certificate - via recorded, next day delivery)
Date of response: 21 April 2017 (I received a letter from the Home Office dated 19 April 2017 confirming receipt of my request, and saying that my certificate would be sent out shortly)
Date of receipt of amended certificate: 21 April 2017 (it was in the same batch of post as the letter from the Home Office)

I was not charged for the amendment.

Despite the quick turnaround, as experiences with the Home Office go this was one of my worst. Clearly there are low volumes of amendment requests, as such the process is very vague, and there are absolutely no tracking resources. For those that may find themselves in a similar position (i.e. unable to leave the UK as you have no BRP/passport to secure your re-entry), here's what I found out:

1. Certificate amendments are to be sent to UKVI, Permanent Migration, Nationality Group, Department 201, PO Box 306, Liverpool, L2 0QN. This is the address for amendments as specified on my Ceremony invitation letter. This is different than the address that comes up if you attempt to google. I spoke to 4 different Visas and Immigration contact center operators to ask why there are discrepancies between the website and the letter, and the conclusion was: the address on my letter is for amendments, the address on the website is to request a duplicate certificate

However, they also assured me that if one were to send the amendment request to the "wrong" address, the one shown on the website (Home Office, The Capital Building, New Hall Place, Liverpool, L3 9PP), it wold be forwarded on to the correct department

2. The estimated timeline for the amendments process is 10 weeks. I suspect the reason this is so inflated is because it is an ad hoc process. The only recent anecdotal evidence of timelines I have is my own, and the story of another South African who requested amendments in Feb 2017 and she received her amended certificate after 10 days.

3. There are absolutely NO status updates available. There are no contact numbers available for the UKVI department actually sitting in the Liverpool offices. The UKVI contact number I used is 0300 123 2253 This is a call centre in Newcastle. The operators, while friendly, are completely unable to offer any additional assistance. One operator advised that the only way to get an update would be to write them a letter.

4. I looked into getting Right to Abode, and was told it can take p to 6 months (so another dead end). After numerous conversations with the UKVI helpline, the Passport Office, and Border Control it was concluded that: there are no emergency / ad hoc / quick turnaround travel documents that you can obtain to prove citizenship status (i.e. something that will allow you re-entry to the country).

I hope this helps anyone who lands up in the same predicament as me.