ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting second passport under Tier 2 visa

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mi_kon
United Kingdom

Getting second passport under Tier 2 visa

Post by mi_kon » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Hello,

I'm Ukrainian and I live and work in the UK with Tier 2 visa. My current passport is going to expire in 3 years. My country law allows having two valid passports simultaneously and I'm going to apply for a new passport, because new passport format gives some advantages visiting other countries, but I also want to keep my old passport. Again, this is legal according to my country law. What should I do in the UK? I couldn't find the answer for this. Should inform UKBA about new passport? How should I do that?

Thanks!

poper
Diamond Member
India

Re: Getting second passport under Tier 2 visa

Post by poper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

mi_kon
United Kingdom

Post by mi_kon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you for your reply!

And if I decide to annul the old passport, i.e. have only one valid passport, do I need to inform UKBA using this form? https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _04-14.pdf

What do you suggest that I do then? Annul old passport or keep both old and new ones? Does it make any difference?

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:19 pm

I am not entirely sure, but I don't think this should be an issue. UK citizens are also allowed to legally hold 2 passports. So having 2 passport shouldn't be an issue. I guess you just need to decide which of the passports is linked to your UK residence permit. If you want to move you visa/ BRP to the new passport, you will need to inform UKVI. This will not necessarily make your old passport invalid for travel, It will just mean that your new passport is the officially recognized passport for your UK residency.

My Opinion
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.