ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 month EC - should i get this reissued?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bani

6 month EC - should i get this reissued?

Post by bani » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:04 am

Hi. I just got my passport with the EC stamp for HSMP in Manila (this was done by courier, no interview). But my HSMP EC is only valid until May 2005. Everyone else got 1 year right? I don't know how they can make such a mistake, can't be anything else but a mistake I think.

My question is will I have problems later on if I just travel to the UK now? I do have a job offer, but a contract hasn't yet been written (they were waiting for my HSMP) - I hope they won't shorten it to 6 months. And if I apply for FLR before May, will they give me 3 1/2 years to compensate for the 1/2 year I am losing on this first visa? I don't want to have to apply for FLR twice, what with long waiting times and increased fees.

Or should I just get this visa reissued now? I will try to figure out how. I can't even get a phone number for the visa section (that isn't a recording).

stitcher

Re: 6 month EC - should i get this reissued?

Post by stitcher » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:40 am

bani wrote:Hi. I just got my passport with the EC stamp for HSMP in Manila (this was done by courier, no interview). But my HSMP EC is only valid until May 2005. Everyone else got 1 year right? I don't know how they can make such a mistake, can't be anything else but a mistake I think.

My question is will I have problems later on if I just travel to the UK now? I do have a job offer, but a contract hasn't yet been written (they were waiting for my HSMP) - I hope they won't shorten it to 6 months. And if I apply for FLR before May, will they give me 3 1/2 years to compensate for the 1/2 year I am losing on this first visa? I don't want to have to apply for FLR twice, what with long waiting times and increased fees.

Or should I just get this visa reissued now? I will try to figure out how. I can't even get a phone number for the visa section (that isn't a recording).

that's a little strange ... as far as I know if you intend to travel to the UK for less than 6 month you do not need an EC. I think you better ask the embassy coz if it's their mistake and you enter the UK with a 6 months HSMP visa you can get only one extension for 3 years so that makes it 3.6 years 6 months short of 4 years. lemme see if I can find any official docs about the duration of the HSMP.

I suggest that you try and go to embassy see if you could talk to someone at the reception if you could they can put you through to the ECO.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:50 am

You should have recieved a one year stamp, it looks like the embassy made a mistake. Check if you can have this rectified at the embassy itself.

There are some old posts in this forum where a couple of them have been given 2 years instead of 1. When contacted, the HO recommended that they send in their FLR applications for extension 1 year from the date of issue. Go to search and look at previous old topics.

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:51 am

the FAQ clearly state that initially HSMP is given for one year

How long will I be allowed to stay in the United Kingdom as a highly skilled migrant?

At first, we give you permission to stay in the UK for a year to seek work or self-employment opportunities.

After a year, you can apply to stay for longer but you must be economically active.

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... /hsmp.html?

bani

Post by bani » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:14 am

thanks for replies :). i just faxed them a request for reissue (included that link) as advised by the visa section here. ECO will look at the fax on monday (they are closed for the rest of the week) and make a decision.

if i do go to the UK with <6 months visa, even if it's ok with my employer, i'm worried that there would be problems getting NHS, opening a bank account, etc.

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:18 am

best of luck .. keep us posted

- Stitcher

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:24 am

you have to check with them why they only gave you six months, at times they do make mistakes when making stamps, i know someone who once applied for a visitors visa but they mistakenly stamped the wrong date, visa was going to be valid from say Nov 15 2004 to Nov 14 2004. so this could be what happended with yours

bani

Post by bani » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:45 am

the visa section staff aren't sure it's a mistake, so i have to wait for the ECO to look at my file. btw, their phone system here is terrible, they take forever to answer and their mailboxes are full (probably to prevent anyone from leaving a message). it's also bad timing for me that they are on holiday for the rest of the week.

so everyone thinks it's a bad idea to go to the UK with the 6 month visa? i was hoping to travel already next week, but don't want to risk having problems when i get there or later on.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:45 pm

it really is a problem, the best thing i would say is to go there in person and try and have it sorted a.s.ap. on top of the problems you have mentioned there i can also say that in the event that you have a problem getting a job in the the six months, you might have problems trying to renew your HSMP. the other side of the coin would, if it is not a mistake then you will need to get to the UK as soon as possible cause time will be ticking away while you are trying to get this sorted

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:03 pm

Bani dude ..
don't be disheartened .. you are on the safer side .. incase the ECO says that he issued the 6 months visa on purpose do ask him the reason and keep the letter it might be useful when you apply for your extension ..

and if he says it was a mistake then you can get a one year visa .. so your are safe both ways ..

;)

bani

Post by bani » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:57 am

hi guys! thanks for the advice and encouragement, i have good news :). i got an email today from the ECO saying that my one year visa has been issued and to just bring my passport to the embassy. apparently, they still have some staff in the visa section today for urgent cases, which they considered mine to be. so i went there and now it's all been sorted. i have the new EC sticker valid until November 2005. the old one was stamped "cancelled without prejudice". i've booked my flight to london gatwick at the end of the month.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:59 pm

thats excellent news Bani, all the best to you in your journey to the uk. keep us informed how get along

stitcher

Post by stitcher » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:46 am

wah !! kewl .. :) that's great bani .. i am happy for u ..

in the mean while i submitted my application for EC yesterday morning at 9:00 am and I was told if I do not get a call then i can collect my EC the same day at 3:30 - 4:30 but unfortunately I got a call at 11:00 AM and they asked me to bring my original work exp + educational certificates. when I submitted my application I was carrying them but they said it was not required.

Anyway I have submitted all originals including marksheets etc today .. they said they will call me ... i em gettin a little worried :(

- Stitcher

bani

Post by bani » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:11 am

good luck stitcher! that is a bit frustrating that they made you go back to submit more papers, hopefully you receive the EC stamp today.