ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Damaged naturalisation certificate

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alinna

Damaged naturalisation certificate

Post by alinna » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi
I just damaged my son's naturalisation certificate while opening the envelope and was hoping someone could tell me if it is still considered valid or not. The damage is on the left side from top to bottom. About 0.5 cm from the side was torn when opening the envelope. All the writing is intact so practically only the narrow white frame is gone. I carefully used a scissors to make the edge straight and it looks great but the 0.5cm white edge on the left side of it is gone.

Do i need to pay the £234 fee to replace it or is it still valid and i can keep it as it is?
Thank you in advance.

alinna

Re: Damaged naturalisation certificate

Post by alinna » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I already applied for my son's passport and we are all British citizens now and we do not need to apply for any other visas in the future so the certificate would be only kept for further reference, whatever that may be.

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with an answer as now i feel like an idiot for not being more careful with it.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:52 pm

You should NOT have used scissors on it. You should have just left it as it was and kept it safe. Put it away safely now and DO NOT laminate it!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alinna

Post by alinna » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you!! I have kept it safe now and will not laminate it.
I understood from your answer that the certificate is still valid? I hope i got it right.

Thank you again.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:16 pm

If you applied using the JCAP service, then no need to submit cert for passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

alinna

Post by alinna » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:34 pm

I applied for the passport with check and send. I damaged the certificate when they sent it back to me. Passport also arrived.

I dont actually need the certificate anymore as all my family is British but was just worried that if by any chance i will need to prove my sons citizenship in the future that his british passport will not be enough.
After 5 years when i will have to renew his passport will i need the naturalisation certificate?

I really appreciate your help. If i have to, i will pay the fee and fix my mistake but if i dont really need to i would rather use the money for something else.

Thank you. Very kind of you to reply to my messages.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 pm

After 5 years when i will have to renew his passport will i need the naturalisation certificate?
No.

If only the edge damaged, just keep it safe. I haven't come across anyone who has needed to produce the certificates long after getting citizenship.

p.s. in future, open ALL post carefully, even junkmail.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

alinna

Post by alinna » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:20 pm

I will be much more careful from now on! Because of people like you i love this country so much! I know you are genuinely trying to help and i wish there was a way to repay you for your time.

Thank you :)