ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Babafoya
Newly Registered

Questions for ILR

Post by Babafoya » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:31 pm

Dear Sirs / Madame's

If I could take your time on help with 4 questions I have regarding my application for ILR. I have been married to my wife now for more than 7 years. Initially I was granted LIMITED LEAVE TO REMAIN which was valid from April 2011 to April 2014. Then I was granted LEAVE TO REMAIN from May 2014 to May 2017.

Now I intend to apply for ILR. My wife is a British Citizen and so to are our 4 children who all hold British Passports. I am currently on a Zimbabwean passport.

My 4 questions are as follows;

1. Which form do I need to apply for ILR under my current status to gain ILR?

2. What is Premium Service? I ask this because the way I seem to be understanding it is that I can get my ILR on the same day.

3. Do I need a lawyer to assist me with this application?

4. Do I need to complete the LIFE IN THE UK ENGLISH TEST?

I thank you all in advance for your time.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Questions for ILR

Post by zimba » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:45 pm

1. Which form do I need to apply for ILR under my current status to gain ILR?
SET(M)
2. What is Premium Service? I ask this because the way I seem to be understanding it is that I can get my ILR on the same day.
Visa premium service centres
You can book an appointment to attend a regional office and if eligible, your ILR will be granted on the same day.
3. Do I need a lawyer to assist me with this application?
Depends on the complexity of your case. If your case is straightforward you do not need a lawyer.
4. Do I need to complete the LIFE IN THE UK ENGLISH TEST?
Yes. I suggest you to follow the steps at https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk.
When you answer all the questions, It tells you all the information you need know for ILR based on your circumstances
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Babafoya
Newly Registered

Post by Babafoya » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:04 am

Thank you for your swift response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:06 am

Did you get Discretionary Leave to Remain in 2011 and then extend it for a further 3 years? This is usually 2 x 3 year visas, which would then require you to complete Set(O).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mck2010
Ghana

Post by mck2010 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi ya is it still true that those with 6 years DLR are exempt from
Taking the life in the U.K. Test or has the requirement changed? I can't find the information on the gov uk website

Thanks

Babafoya
Newly Registered

Post by Babafoya » Thu May 25, 2017 8:13 pm

Hie All

I got my ILR on the 23rd May. Thanks to you all for you advice. I used the Set (O) form and used the Premier Service in Sheffied. My Biometric Card arrived on the 25th. Total paid £2887.

My question now is when can I apply for my British Passport. I have been reading and came across something saying I can apply immediately since my wife has a British Passport? Is this correct?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:15 pm

You can apply immediately to naturlise as British, provided you meet all the requirements. This is a separate process you need to do first to passport application.

What was your immigration status prior to DLR granted in 2011?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Babafoya
Newly Registered

Post by Babafoya » Thu May 25, 2017 8:19 pm

mck2010 wrote:Hi ya is it still true that those with 6 years DLR are exempt from
Taking the life in the U.K. Test or has the requirement changed? I can't find the information on the gov uk website

Thanks
I had to do the Life in the UK Test. I also had 2 X 3 years DLR.

Babafoya
Newly Registered

Post by Babafoya » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 pm

CR001 wrote:You can apply immediately to naturlise as British, provided you meet all the requirements. This is a separate process you need to do first to passport application.

What was your immigration status prior to DLR granted in 2011?

I had over stayed my student visa. Prior to DLR.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Then you will only qualify for BC in 2021, 10 years from the date your status was legalised and you were granted ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)