ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Academic Progression from Level 7 to PhD

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kkarimov
Newly Registered

Academic Progression from Level 7 to PhD

Post by kkarimov » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Hi All,

I just need some advice on my circumstances please.

I completed my Masters in the UK in 2014 and started ACCA (14 papers) in 2015. My ACCA course is ending in June, 2017 and my visa expires in November 2017. I have been actively applying to PhD programmes in the UK, and there is a high chance that I will be accepted by the University of Greenwich.

Unfortunately, I have passed only 5 ACCA papers so far and I will possibly pass one more this last semester.

Will I be able to apply to extend Tier 4 visa in the UK to study PhD or should I go home to make a visa application due to not completing the course which I was granted Tier 4 for? I called UKVI telephone number (0300 123 2241) and spoke to 7 different call centre agents and only one of them said I should go home to apply for Tier 4 visa as I would not be completing my current course, and the rest 6 said I can make a Tier 4 visa application in the UK as PhD is a higher level from ACCA (Professional Qualification). Which advice is correct? I am still confused about where I should apply from?

Your advice will be appreciated.

keysersoze22

Re: Academic Progression from Level 7 to PhD

Post by keysersoze22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 pm

The recent changes to the guidance (in April 16 or Nov 16 was it, Sah?) make it clear that academic progression can't apply if the migrant has failed their last Tier 4 course. I can see that you are doing your ACCA now, but I am assuming Greenwich will use your 2014 Masters for the PhD application. However, you do run a few credibility interview risks by doing so.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf = p25, 62.

I'd probably ask to speak to the University's International Admissions Officer and ask them to cross reference against their International Advice service (of which I know Greenwich has). They'll need to assess the Refusal risk in this case and advise you.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: Academic Progression from Level 7 to PhD

Post by sah10406 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:32 pm

kkarimov wrote:I am still confused about where I should apply from?
From your home country because the university will not be able to confirm academic progression on your CAS and you do not meet any of the exceptions in paragraph 57 of the Tier 4 Policy Guidance.

Tier 4 policy guidance, paragraph 62a, confirms that, in part, academic progression means that:

you must have successfully completed (meaning they have achieved the qualification for which you were studying) the course for which you were last granted Tier 4 leave or, if you have changed courses with
the same sponsor, the course you changed to;

As you have seen, Home Office staff do not have the knowledge to give you immigration advice. You should always take the name of any Home Office employee who gives you any advice about your application, and tell them you will be citing them in your application as confirming you could apply. Strangely enough, if you say that they then go and find the correct answer, not just nonsense off the top of their head.

However as a university student you have free (regulated, trained, supervised) immigration advice from the International Student Adviser at your institution.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.