ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Family visa for child who is almost 18

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ReturningHome
Newly Registered

Family visa for child who is almost 18

Post by ReturningHome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:40 am

Hi,

My work took me to South America for 10 years, during which time I met and married a non-eea lady (I am British).

Now I am returning to the UK to work and it's our intention that my wife will join me (we fulfil the requisites). However, she also has a daughter from a previous relationship who is 17 (turns 18 late this year).

I haven't found much info on line but my assumption is that it will be very hard for her to get a family visa based on the fact that she's almost 18 and isn't a blood relative of mine.

Am I correct in my thinking or are there any options open to us? Also, does it make any significant difference whether we apply when she is 17 1/2 or 18?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Family visa for child who is almost 18

Post by physicskate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:44 am

ReturningHome wrote:Hi,

My work took me to South America for 10 years, during which time I met and married a non-eea lady (I am British).

Now I am returning to the UK to work and it's our intention that my wife will join me (we fulfil the requisites). However, she also has a daughter from a previous relationship who is 17 (turns 18 late this year).

I haven't found much info on line but my assumption is that it will be very hard for her to get a family visa based on the fact that she's almost 18 and isn't a blood relative of mine.

Am I correct in my thinking or are there any options open to us? Also, does it make any significant difference whether we apply when she is 17 1/2 or 18?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

There is a HUGE different between 17 and 18 - apply before she turns 18!!!!!!!

Your wife would have to prove sole responsibility.

ReturningHome
Newly Registered

Post by ReturningHome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:00 am

Hi Kate,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Looking online, sole responsibility seems a bit of a minefield. My stepdaughter lives with us but does spend two weekends per month with her biological father. He also does pay child support (covering about 20% of her expenses).

To be perfectly honest, I believe him to be a decent person and if push came to shove I do believe that he would look after her. However, my step-daughter's preference is to stay with us.

Im not sure if the above really constitutes grounds for sole responsibility.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:36 am

ReturningHome wrote:Hi Kate,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Looking online, sole responsibility seems a bit of a minefield. My stepdaughter lives with us but does spend two weekends per month with her biological father. He also does pay child support (covering about 20% of her expenses).

To be perfectly honest, I believe him to be a decent person and if push came to shove I do believe that he would look after her. However, my step-daughter's preference is to stay with us.

Im not sure if the above really constitutes grounds for sole responsibility.
You would need a letter from the biological father giving his permission for her to move to the UK (or a court order).

ReturningHome
Newly Registered

Post by ReturningHome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:42 am

That shouldn't be a problem. Thanks Kate

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

physicskate wrote:You would need a letter from the biological father giving his permission for her to move to the UK (or a court order).
If you require his permission, then you don't have sole responsibility.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 am

vinny wrote:
physicskate wrote:You would need a letter from the biological father giving his permission for her to move to the UK (or a court order).
If you require his permission, then you don't have sole responsibility.
True.

Sole responsibility = clearly not my area of core knowledge!

ReturningHome
Newly Registered

Post by ReturningHome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Thankyou Kate, Vinny.

I had read about the complications of sole responsibility. From what's been said and from the information I posted earlier, I think she probability doesn't qualify as having sole responsibility even if she is the main parent.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 pm

There's also 319H(f)(iii).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ReturningHome
Newly Registered

Post by ReturningHome » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Vinny,

To my untrained eye, it appears we'd struggle there too. I'm not the biological father so both parents wouldn't either be in the UK or coming to the UK and then it moves back to the sole responsibility criteria.