ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying in England...

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Iphigenia
Newly Registered

Studying in England...

Post by Iphigenia » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:00 am

Well I originally thought it would be easy to move to Europe because I thought my fiance's grandfather was born in Ireland, but we actually found out that he wasn't. So, now, we're trying to go down a different route. If I were to study in England, would I be able to get a temporary work permit, and would my husband? Also, what are the appropriate steps for getting a student visa? I would also like to be able to study in a field where I would be more likely to get a permanent work permit in England. I am thinking about nursing, is that a good choice?

John
United Kingdom

Can you work on student visa?

Post by John » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:03 am

Hi, have a good look through :-

Guidance - Students (INF 5)

You will see there is a section entitled "Can I work" that answers your specific question. So you do not need a Work Permit as such but your work hours are limited to 20 hours per week during term time. What INF 5 does not make totally clear is that is that outside of term time you can still work but your hours are not limited to 20 per week.

Can your husband work? Answered by the section "Will my husband or wife be allowed to work?".

Nursing? Indeed a good choice ... in the sense that there is a great shortage of nurses in the UK ... and therefore you would not find it difficult to find permanent work in the UK after you have qualified.

But the way, where are you and your husband from?

jaf
Newly Registered

international students

Post by jaf » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:08 pm

hi,

i have been unable to find an answer to my query on the website..i wonder if you can help me?

my australian boyfriend is applying for a business HND over here with a view to commencing the course academic year 2005/2006. i am well aware of working restrictions (as detailed above) and the fact that he may stay on until the ctober after his course finishes but what i can't find out is how early he can enter the uk before his course starts AND BE ABLE TO WORK.

i guess he could come up to 6months early as long as he wasn't working but he wants to work here a bit - a month or so - before his course starts in september: we have accomodation to sort etc.

any advice would be greatly appreciated,
thank you

jessica