ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Who to ask for advice on tricky question?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sandrino
Newly Registered

Tier 2 supplementary work outside of UK

Post by Sandrino » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:42 am

I'm an academic working in a UK university on a Tier 2 visa. I understand I can do supplementary PAYE work with certain restrictions (<20 hours p.w., same level, etc.). My question is about additional, job-related work--arguably a necessary part of my job-- that we are encouraged by our employer to do. The work is not PAYE. Examples are:

1. Write a book which will pay (modest) royalties (publisher is in Netherlands)
2. Work as an adviser for an NGO in another country.
3. Review grant proposals for a research funder in another country.

All of these are foreign income and I can pay tax to the UK through foreign income.

Is this a different case than self-employment? These are very much related to my job and academics are expected/encouraged to do these things. Any advice?

Thanks.

Sandrino
Newly Registered

Who to ask for advice on tricky question?

Post by Sandrino » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:07 am

Hi, I'm posting again about additional work on a Tier 2 visa, but with a different focus.

Briefly, I'm an academic staff member at a UK university; as part of my normal duties I am encouraged/expected to do activities that could be construed to fall under self-employment; for example, writing a book, doing review work for research funders in other countries, serving as a journal editor. These are all normal activities for academic staff and often involve a modest stipend.

Each of these examples pays a small amount from a non-UK source (i.e., foreign income, with a total less than £3000 per year). I am happy to declare these to pay tax, but does that mean I'm declaring myself as self-employed?

UKVI rules about self-employment in Tier 2 are black and white, but I think my situation falls into a grey zone.

Who would I ask for advice? Immigration lawyer? Tax lawyer? UKVI? The University seems not to have the necessary expertise to answer this question

Another option is to have the fees paid into a bank account in my home country, and to pay tax there. But I find it difficult to believe that a Tier 2 academic in the UK would be prohibited by UKVI rules to, for example, write a book and take royalties, or serve on a research review panel in another country.

hitsis
Newly Registered

Re: Who to ask for advice on tricky question?

Post by hitsis » Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 am

You are over-worried. All the works you listed are normal tasks for a faculty member. It is nothing to do with self-employment.