ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Flat rent question

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Peter Kartalov
Newly Registered

Flat rent question

Post by Peter Kartalov » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:16 pm

I am planning to come to live in London for the next few years(if not more) and have been looking at the prices of the flat(apartment) rents in London. It seems to me that all advertised flats are shared?!?!?! Is it possible to find a one bedroom apartment to rent by myself-no sharing of bathroom, Spam, etc??? What would the price be?
I realize that this might be the wrong place to ask such question, I've goten some great help here earlier so I hope you can help me again.
Thanx in advance for any advice
Peter

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:36 pm

You should be able to find a single bedroom apartment quite easily. If it is only for you, then you might find it expense, thats why some people opt to share here when they are single. You will find all kind of accomodation in london including bedsits, room shares, flat shares, studio apartments, 1/2/3/4 bedroom apartments.

Look at websites like www.loot.com type in the area code, or the name of locality, your price range (for 1 bed apartment its typically £550-£700 pcm, or £100-£160 per week) and you should get a host of results.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:48 pm

John
United Kingdom

Rightmove

Post by John » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:56 pm

Peter, also have a look at :-

www.rightmove.co.uk

-: and click on the "Renting" tab.

By the way, when you say "to rent by myself", do you mean "to rent for my wife and myself"? :D Just picking up on another thread where we have both posted!

As you will see, property prices in London are noticeably higher than in other parts of the UK. Earnings in London might be higher but after living costs are taken into account, is one always better off living in London?

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:01 pm

There are several other websites you can check depending on the area of london you want to live.
If you have a "strong cultural background" and you want to live close to people from your similar background, try to consider that fact before you decide where to live.
Central london is very expensive, the further you go from the center the lower the rents. If you want to find more agencies try google.com and "lettings" (uk name for rentals).
Remember to include the £ 80- £120 council tax (paid by person living in the "flat").
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... CcountryGB

There are parts of london where immigrants have relocated, some areas have a lot of indian or muslim or jewish or south american or african..... if you prefer to live close to your people, check that before deciding the area of the city you want.

Also, remember that there is life outside london, Scotland, Manchester, Reading, Liverpool, Leeds.... there is less competition. In scotland the government says they need at least 5,000 immigrants each year just to maintain population....compared to london that they say there are plenty immigrants...
Buying property in scotland is much cheaper compared to london...here you need to save a lot before buying....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)