ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Births Registration question - please help!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

englishuser
Newly Registered

Foreign Births Registration question - please help!

Post by englishuser » Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 pm

Hello there,

I have a question about registering on the Irish Foreign Births Register - I have tried to contact the DFA using the correct form on their website, a couple of times and have even tweeted to them, but can't get a response which has led me here, any help much appreciated - I think it's a simple question but even with all the resources available online I can't find the answer.

My Grandfather was born in Ireland and am trying to get on the register so I can obtain an Irish passport. His son, my dad was born in the UK - I have all the relevant documents to complete the process.

My question is this - does my Dad need to be registered on the register before I can be?

Many thanks!

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Re: Foreign Births Registration question - please help!

Post by abundantbee » Tue May 09, 2017 8:24 pm

No he doesn't. As your dad's dad was born in Ireland your dad is an Irish citizen. It's just you that needs to go on the register to become an Irish citizen.

englishuser
Newly Registered

Post by englishuser » Sun May 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks very much! :)

englishuser
Newly Registered

Post by englishuser » Mon May 15, 2017 3:45 pm

Hello, I have a further couple of questions if anyone would be kind enough to share their info with me:

I'm sending my FBR application off with all the original docs:

I need to include my Dad's original passport - could they keep it for up to 6 months? I would mean he can't leave to country.

Also the list of items asked for include my grandfathers 'Certified/Notarized Copy of current passport or identity document (e.g. Driver's Licence)' - He has passed away so his death certificate will be fine?

Also I have read on here about people sending stamped addressed envelopes with their application. Do I need to do this?

Thanks very much for any help

Matt2017
Newly Registered

Post by Matt2017 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi

I'd be surprised if you had to send your dad's passport; when I applied (6 months ago) I was only required to send a certified copy of the passport.

Death certificate is fine if the family member is deceased.

When I applied you needed to send a pre-paid return envelope, it makes sense as you'll have the tracking number for the return envelope.

Hope that helps