ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Requirement for Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rolex17
Newly Registered

English Language Requirement for Spouse Visa

Post by Rolex17 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:43 am

Hello All, hope you're all doing great.

I'm currently in the process of applying for a spouse visa for my wife. She had a Bachelor degree from Nigeria which was taught in English.

I'd like to know if that'll be sufficient enough to meet the English Language requirement. I understand she'll still need to contact UK NARIC to convert the qualification to British standard but don't quite understand how this process works.

I'd appreciate if you could please let me know how to proceed with this in other to meet the English Language requirement or does she have to sit the IELT test?

I look forward to receiving/hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English Language Requirement for Spouse Visa

Post by Casa » Sat May 13, 2017 12:51 pm

In order to meet the English language requirements your wife will have to apply for a NARIC ELA (Red Route).

https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/individu ... sment.aspx
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat May 13, 2017 1:30 pm

Unless having a degree from UK there is no escape from English language related fee. Sitting for ielts test or asking for naric comparability report almost costs same. So better and straightforward is to pass test.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 pm

seagul wrote:Unless having a degree from UK there is no escape from English language related fee. Sitting for ielts test or asking for naric comparability report almost costs same. So better and straightforward is to pass test.
Not necessarily quicker depending on how long it may take to book a test and then wait for the certificate to be issued. :idea:

The new VisasAndNationality service is faster and works to 10-day turnround times, instead of the 15-day turnround times on UK NARIC Services for Work and Study. The new service costs £125 + VAT.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Rolex17
Newly Registered

Post by Rolex17 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks Casa for the clarification, much appreciated.

Thanks Seagul. I'm not really bothered about the fee, just wanted to find out if it'll quicker and straight forward to convert her current Bachelor degree to UK standard through NARIC rather than going through the IELT option as it takes longer to get a booking slot at an approved center in Nigeria.

Once again, thanks both for taking time to reply my message.

taffet87
Pakistan

Post by taffet87 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:51 pm

if you do go with IELTS make sure it is UKVI version

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 13, 2017 2:54 pm

Rolex17 wrote:Thanks Casa for the clarification, much appreciated.

Thanks Seagul. I'm not really bothered about the fee, just wanted to find out if it'll quicker and straight forward to convert her current Bachelor degree to UK standard through NARIC rather than going through the IELT option as it takes longer to get a booking slot at an approved center in Nigeria.

Once again, thanks both for taking time to reply my message.
Worth bearing in mind the IELTS results have a 2 year expiry date, unlike the NARIC ELA.
(Casa, not CR001)

Rolex17
Newly Registered

Post by Rolex17 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Thanks Taffet87, i'll make sure it's UKVI version if I decide to go with that option.

Thanks Casa:
Considering the fact that the initial visa will be valid for 2.5yrs, which option would you consider to be more appropriate as I believe (according to your last posts) she'll have to sit another test for her visa extension?. Is it really worth it as opposed to going with NARIC option?

I'm not sure if the NARIC route also has its own expiry date. I'd appreciate if you could please shed more lights on this.

Thanks for your support.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat May 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Rolex17 wrote:Thanks Taffet87, i'll make sure it's UKVI version if I decide to go with that option.

Thanks Casa:
Considering the fact that the initial visa will be valid for 2.5yrs, which option would you consider to be more appropriate as I believe (according to your last posts) she'll have to sit another test for her visa extension?. Is it really worth it as opposed to going with NARIC option?

I'm not sure if the NARIC route also has its own expiry date. I'd appreciate if you could please shed more lights on this.

Thanks for your support.
A2 level English is now a requirement for the FLR(M) extension in 2.5 years time and B1 level for ILR if not meeting the English language requirement with a NARIC ELA.

My understanding is the a NARIC ELA doesn't have a validity date, but a re-confirmation letter can be issued if required for a nominal fee.
(Casa, not CR001)

Rolex17
Newly Registered

Post by Rolex17 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:47 pm

@Casa;

Many thanks for the clarification.