ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa - proof of eligibility to work in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

penelope
Newly Registered

spouse visa - proof of eligibility to work in the UK

Post by penelope » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Hi all,

My husband arrived just before Christmas and has been looking for work but as yet hasn't managed to find anything. One job he did apply for they asked if he had a work permit. He explained that his spouse visa enabled him to work but because his visa does not mention this (it just says 'No recourse to public funds') they weren't convinced.

They also wanted him to produce a National Insurance card. He has his number but it could be another month before his card arrives. (The reasons for this apparanytly is because he would be working in government offices!!!)

I just wondered if other people have experienced similar problems and what he can do to prove his entitlement to work on a spouse visa

I am particularly concerned now with the changes in law due to come in at the end of the month regarding employment of illegal immigrants - I'm worried its only going to make the situation even harder.

Any advice greatly appreciated )

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Have them look at pages 50 and 51 of the following guidance from the Home Office:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

If they still have questions, they can ring the employers helpline on 0845 010 6677 to confirm what you've been telling them.

You have a definite point though. There's nothing on that sticker that says that the holder is entitled to work. I think that's a significant error, but it seems like the HO is following the dictum of "whatever isn't forbidden is allowed"...

penelope
Newly Registered

Post by penelope » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks Robin, that's really helpful. I think I might try contacting the Home Office as well to ask them to put something in writing for me (the employer was suggesting that she had asked fo rthis for a previous employee)

- As you say, I think this is an error and perhaps by highlighting it and making the Home Office do more work as a result, it might presuade them to change the visa information in the future.

Thanks again :o)

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:41 pm

penelope wrote:Thanks Robin, that's really helpful. I think I might try contacting the Home Office as well to ask them to put something in writing for me (the employer was suggesting that she had asked fo rthis for a previous employee)
- As you say, I think this is an error and perhaps by highlighting it and making the Home Office do more work as a result, it might presuade them to change the visa information in the future.

Thanks again :o)
I suggest you take a copy of the law/policy link above and show it to the employers. If you wait for the HO to respond, they might either not answer pn time or point you to the same link suggested above. The HO might take a while to answer you.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:44 pm

sakura wrote:I suggest you take a copy of the law/policy link above and show it to the employers. If you wait for the HO to respond, they might either not answer pn time or point you to the same link suggested above. The HO might take a while to answer you.
Yes, print the web pages/pdf and show them to the employer. Of course, if they're computer literate, you can show them the BIA website.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:14 pm

A friend of mine who is on HSMP was asked by his employers to get a letter from any lawyer confirming that he was entitled to work in the UK. I think the lawyer charged my friend £20 or thereabouts to do this letter after having a look at the letter he got from HO along with his FLR. From what I have noticed however employers often use issues like this as an excuse not to give you the job, so it's always good advice to keep looking till he finds one.
'In everything give thanks'