ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement options for my wife

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nickmpco

Settlement options for my wife

Post by nickmpco » Thu May 18, 2017 11:55 am

Hi All,

I am seeking clarification about the settlement options that my wife has. I hold a Tier 2 visa, but will be eligible for residency in about one year under the 10 year route. Our daughter was born in the UK, and will be eligible for citizenship once I obtain residency.

My wife is a Tier 2 dependent, and she will only have been a Tier 2 dependent for about 4 years once I apply for residency. I do not think it is possible to extend my Tier 2 visa. At this point, she will have been in the UK for 7 years.

As far as I understand, once I am obtain residency then the only way my wife can remain in the UK is to obtain a "family of settled person visa." She will then be eligible for residency once she has been in the UK for 10 years in total.

Is my understanding of this correct? Or are there any quicker/cheaper settlement routes for my wife that I am not considering given her close ties to the UK?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Settlement options for my wife

Post by CR001 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Your understanding is correct. If you apply for ILR (it is not called 'residency'), then she will have to apply on FLR(M) before her PBS Dependent visa expires. The FLR(M) spouse visa will be issued for 2.5 years.

There is no other 'cheaper' option.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nickmpco

Re: Settlement options for my wife

Post by nickmpco » Fri May 19, 2017 12:28 pm

CR001 wrote:Your understanding is correct. If you apply for ILR (it is not called 'residency'), then she will have to apply on FLR(M) before her PBS Dependent visa expires. The FLR(M) spouse visa will be issued for 2.5 years.

There is no other 'cheaper' option.
Thanks very much CR001. Just to clarify, my wife and I will have been married for nearly 6 years at the point (And have been living together in the UK this whole time). For part of our marriage, however, she was a Tier 4 student. She will have been with more for more than 5 years by the time I settle. Given this additional information, is she still ineligible?