ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The Brit Accent

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sher

The Brit Accent

Post by Sher » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:44 pm

A particular forum that I recently read had HSMPs ranting abt the lack of Brit accent as being a major impediment to getting a job in UK.

Is this a case of much ado abt nothing or it really does matter ?

Those of you who live there, don't you meet people with foreign accents and perfectly good English ..... in banks, malls, stores or libraries ?
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

zeke

Post by zeke » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:33 am

Yes, it is astounding, isn't it?

Apparently it isn't a matter of speaking well or correctly, even perfectly.
Apparently, it doesn't matter if the applicant understands local slang expressions and uses them correctly.

Apparently, what matters is the lack of a British accent.

How is the applicant supposed to overcome such an impediment? Of course he or she doesn't have a British accent -- he or she has been entered the UK from a foreign country.

Sher, I was very struck by this myself.

Maybe this form of, um, xenophobia exists only in certain geographic areas of the country or in certain industries??

Any thoughts, friends?
Be Well!

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:56 am

zeke,
I did not face the same situation myself. As you said it might be an issue with certain industries i.e. those that interface with customers. Again I wouldnt term it is a prerequiste at every place.

You dont have to put on an english accent. I dont and its not a problem otherwise. If you really want to increase the understanding of peculair british jargons and expression, I would recommend watching britsh shows or reading typical british novels especially the comic ones.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:03 am

i think the most important thing is to be audible and understandable, we re all from different parts of the world and at times we might thing that we speak 'perfect' english and yet it is all relative, it might be good enough in nigeria or india but you might find that your accent might not be so understandable to the english people, but one shouldnt not try to copy the english accent, i think it will come with time. at times if you dont copy it properly u might be seen as mocking someone by imitating them.

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:46 pm

No one speakes English in London ;)
Personally i think it's not a serious matter if you don't speak with Brit accent. Speaking slowley and LOUDLY help to overcome accent.
The problem is that Brits can't understand any other accent.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:22 pm

Sorry? What is a British accent? :shock:

There is surely no such thing. My step-daughter, who entered the UK on a settlement visa in April 2001, now speaks very good English ... with a brummie accent! (Brummie ... as in ... someone from Birmingham ... an accent distinctly different from say London or Newcastle upon Tyne or Glasgow etc etc)

ford

Post by ford » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:17 pm

British accent is you say 'Cheers' after every sentence,Cheers. :lol:

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:10 pm

Interesting thread, which hopefully will remain helpful and informative, without evolving into anything insensitive... :roll:

Ajay Kumar Singh

Post by Ajay Kumar Singh » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:50 pm

I think they say one more word after Cheers ?? Is it mate ?
"Cheers Mate" !!!!!
Or something similar i can't still comprehend what goes with the cheers in the last. Well most of times it's just cheers but sometimes i do here the other word after that ;)

Cheers!!!

raj

Post by raj » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:00 pm

Hi Ajay,

Actually its "cheers mate" only but its sound like "Cheers maiyee"

hope its helps :)

Raj
no matter how thin u slice the cheese, it still has two sides....let's now try to view my from side....
------------------------RAJ------------------------------

Alagomeji

Post by Alagomeji » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:23 am

I thought the "mate" expression was Australian!
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, BUT UNBOWED

INVICTUS ; William Ernest Henley. 1849–1903