ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR with 5 years Tier 2 but 1 year Tier 1 GE in middle

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cmaclaug
Newly Registered

ILR with 5 years Tier 2 but 1 year Tier 1 GE in middle

Post by cmaclaug » Sun May 21, 2017 3:28 pm

Assuming 6 years total permanent residency without student visa component. Had a Tier 2 for 7 months. Then since I was still within 12 month window as a recent grad started my own company and secured requirements to get Tier 1 graduate entrepreneurship visa. Had this for 1 year before ultimately leaving my company and securing employment again under Tier 2. Technically the Tier 1 GE does not count towards residency, however if I was permanently in U.K. for this whole period can I count that first 7 months (excluding Tier 1) or would the clock start all over again once I secured my second Tier 2 sponsorship. Any professional legal opinions highly appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR with 5 years Tier 2 but 1 year Tier 1 GE in middle

Post by CR001 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Nothing has changed since you last asked this question in 2014. You need to read 245HF again.

uk-tier-1-entrepreneur-visas/tier-1-gra ... l#p1108292

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... sed-system
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cmaclaug
Newly Registered

Post by cmaclaug » Thu May 25, 2017 8:46 am

Cheers but I reviewed that response and its not quite that clear. Yes Tier 1 normally can be rolled in....

(b) The applicant must have spent a continuous period of 5 years lawfully in the UK, of which the most recent period must have been spent with leave as a Tier 2 (General) Migrant or Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Migrant, in any combination of the following categories:
(i) as a Tier 1 Migrant, other than a Tier 1 (Post Study Work) Migrant or a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant

However I was on a Tier 1 GE which it seems cannot be rolled in. However my question is not whether the time on the Tier 1 GE can be rolled in but if the time before that on Tier 2 can as this is all still continous residency just a period in the middle is on a category that doesn't count to my 5 year accrual period. I am going to have to speak with an immigration consultant regardless I think but this 'gap' analysis is what I was hoping to get a steer on.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu May 25, 2017 12:32 pm

It is 5 year continuous residence. Your continuous period under Tier 2 starts from the date you switched back to Tier 2 as the Tier 1GE period broke the 5 year continuity, as such period is not accepted for ILR under Tier 2.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice