ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship application -born pre 1983

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

British Citizenship application -born pre 1983

Post by Stellz2017 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Apologies if this has been previously addressed, I can't seem to find any thread related to this addressing my queries.

#1. Is there a requirement that parents must be married if you were born pre 1983? When asked for further supporting documentation they asked for parents marriage certificate... photos of time in the U.K., parents old passports... photos and fathers degrees (he was studying in the U.K. When I was born) were available as well as stuff like his driving license but tracing the original marriage certificate has proved difficult-could only get a copy and their old passports got lost.

My parents are not British citizens.

#2. What category does this fall in? I have seen Naturalisation timelines, Registration etc...

#3. What is the current processing timeline for such applications? After submission of docs I was just told it's with the Examiner. Had been given a deadline of end of this month to submit all docs.

Any answers will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

vinny

Re: British Citizenship application -born pre 1983

Post by vinny » Wed May 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Where and when were you born?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

Post by Stellz2017 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:28 pm

I was born in London in 1982 and have provided the full birth certificate.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed May 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Youd be British because of your birth in the UK then, so your parents' status and whether they were married or not shouldnt matter. There are only v erylimited circumstances where you wouldnt be British, eg if your parents were enemy aliens or foreign diplomats for example. So not sure why they asked for all this extra evidence?!

'Category' - youd need to make a simple passport application, takes up to 6 weeks.
Last edited by LilyLalilu on Wed May 24, 2017 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

Post by Stellz2017 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks Lily.

I thought so as well so was taken aback when I received the letter requesting for those documents hence my post seeking clarification and checking if this is the norm.

I submitted all I could do just hoping for the best.

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

Post by Stellz2017 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Just to add, father's profession clearly indicates he wasn't a diplomat on the birth certificate.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu May 25, 2017 1:17 am

Are you applying for a British passport? You can't apply for British citizenship if you already acquired it by virtue of your birth in London in 1982.

Parent's immigration/marital status is irrelevant for pre-1983 U.K. births, provided parents are not diplomats or enemy aliens (and this is usually clear from the birth certificate). If you applied for a British passport- it's possible that the individual in the Passport Office dealing with your case doesn't understand the law or did not read the application properly. Mistakes happen.

However- the Passport Office do look out for identity issues when someone applies for a first British passport as an adult and will likely need some evidence that the birth certificate you are submitting is actually yours and does not belong to someone else with the same name etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

Post by Stellz2017 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:39 am

Thanks for your response JAJ.

Indeed, I am applying for a British passport.

Yes, I furnished them with supporting documents of my identity, Passport, Driving License , National ID, Voters ID..etc... They required the parents marriage certificate and old passports so it struck as an odd request.. Nonetheless I sent all I could, the copy I had as I felt it wasn't the right time to point that out and hoped they would catch this when they re examine upon receipt of all additional documents I could furnish.

I also submitted Mother's original birth certificate which matched names on my full birth certificate so was hopeful that that would suffice.

Waiting to hear back from them, hope all goes well and the Passport is issued.

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

Post by Stellz2017 » Thu May 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Update-Got a letter informing me that I'll be invited for an an interview locally (I am not based in the U.K.) as well as authentification of my identity documents. They have completed their checks in the UK so now it's the overseas checks.

Does anyone know the approximate timeline for this phase?

Thanks.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 27, 2017 5:02 am

It is likely to take whatever time it takes. It will also likely depend on country concerned, integrity of documentation, etc.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Stellz2017
Newly Registered

Post by Stellz2017 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 am

Thank you for your response JAJ.