ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help! Italian Citizenship, name changes??

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CatVel
Newly Registered

Please help! Italian Citizenship, name changes??

Post by CatVel » Wed May 24, 2017 9:42 pm

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help. I'm getting desperate. I've called literally every single Italian consulate in the English-speaking world, and not a single one of them has answered the phone even during business hours. I am not getting any responses by email from any of them either. I tried to register for an appointment at my nearest consulate, but their registration is broken, so I can't get an appointment.

I am an American citizen living in the UK on an EEA Family Permit, as my spouse is Irish. I don't qualify for PR right now, and probably still won't by the time Brexit happens, and we are afraid I will lose my right to be with her. So, I'm applying for my Italian citizenship.

My grandmother was born in Italy, and I am about 99% sure she naturalized well after my mother was born. Here's the problem...

My mother has had several complete name changes -- first and last, in the US. What forms do I need to prove my relation to her, since obviously her name on my birth certificate isn't the same as her name on her own?

Also, my parents were never married. Is this a problem, or is it enough to show my birth certificate (with all required paperwork of my mother's name changes of course)?

And finally, can anyone tell me how I can actually get a hold of an Italian consulate?? Any of them with English, but preferably the one in London, which is my regional consulate. I can't get anyone to talk to me by phone, online, or in person. I don't know what to do.

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

CatVel
Newly Registered

Re: Please help! Italian Citizenship, name changes??

Post by CatVel » Thu May 25, 2017 1:09 pm

Someone please help me. The London consulate just told me to "ask the Americans," and now the email address is invalid and I can't respond. I have tried every Italian consulate in America, and none of them will reply to anything. Please help. I feel like I'm just talking to the void.

benjus
Newly Registered

Post by benjus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Can't offer any help I'm afraid, but I'm applying for Italian citizenship by marriage and I found this site quite helpful: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/

There are people on there from various countries applying for Italian citizenship, but there seem to be a lot from the USA especially so may be able to help with these matters. Start by reading through this board: http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.or ... is-f5.html

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:29 am

Calling consulates is the last thing you should be doing when trying to find out about citizenship eligibility. Far better to use online search facilities. Some results below. You can also search for Italian citizenship-related lawyers/attorneys, etc.
http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/c ... scent.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_nationality_law

Without specifics of Italian law, I would expect that evidence showing your mother's name changes would in principle be accepted. However you would likely also need to show your mother was born in 1948 or later, and that your grandmother became a US citizen after that date. Do you have a copy of the naturalization certificate?

If your concern is about staying in the United Kingdom post-2019, I am not sure how much Italian citizenship would add to what you already have, although it would give you additional options in the EU/EEA. Realistically- it's unlikely your current residence status would be revoked and it's probable you would be able to access permanent residence in due course. Likely worst case, you would have to switch to the domestic U.K. immigration laws. In fact, you might be eligible to do that now since your Irish spouse can also rely on being "settled" in the United Kingdom under domestic laws due to the Common Travel Area provisions. Speak to a solicitor who practises in EEA related immigration matters if you want to explore your options further- there are pros and cons to both options. Also, since your status is contingent on an EEA related permit, your wife should normally seek professional advice (immigration solicitor) before taking British citizenship in order to understand how your EEA immigration status would be affected if she became a British citizen before you obtained Permanent Residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.