ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I have a dual nationality? (Sponsoring spouse visa)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

b1234567
Pakistan

Do I have a dual nationality? (Sponsoring spouse visa)

Post by b1234567 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Hello,

I'm currently filling in a spouse visa online application. I'm a British citizen and am sponsoring my wife for a spouse visa who lives in Pakistan. I am getting a little bit confused with one of the questions under the 'sponsor details' section:

"Do you currently hold, or have you ever held, any other nationality or nationalities?"

I'm British born, with a British passport which says I am a British citizen however I also have an overseas Pakistani ID card. So do I classify as having a dual nationality and should I be answering Yes to the above question?

My worry is that my passport says British citizen so I don't want anything to clash and contradict itself. Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

SimonS

Re: Do I have a dual nationality? (Sponsoring spouse visa)

Post by SimonS » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:03 pm

A little research indicates it would depend upon which one you hold

NIC, NICOP or POC.

The first two seem to confer dual nationality, the latter does not.

Since you will be applying as a British citizen with a British passport, I don't expect it will influence the decision as you meet the requirement of British citizenship. Also, these cards are only valid for 7 years and you can write and cancel them at any time. If you have NIC or NICOP you should probably declare it and then explain in additional information section.

I'm not an expert or a lawyer or even Pakistani, but if you read the information available on The High Commssion for Pakistan website FAQ, it becomes a little clearer.
I'm not an expert and only answer from my personal experience and understanding of the rules. Spouse Settlement Visa Granted for my wife July 2017. You should not take my advice as absolute.

AES90
- thin ice -

Post by AES90 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi,

If you have a NICOP or overseas Pakistani card then you are indeed a dual national. This won't affect your application.

b1234567
Pakistan

Post by b1234567 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Hello,

Thankyou both for your help and input, it really helped me out.

Kind Regards,