ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extended stay in Finland for frustrated US Citizen...

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PennyC
Newly Registered

Extended stay in Finland for frustrated US Citizen...

Post by PennyC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Just had a rather frustrating phone call w/ the Finnish embassy in Washington DC. I called to inquire about staying in Finland for 6 months on an extended tourist visa. I don't wish to work or study; simply to spend time with a family member in need. The agent told me that no such visa exists, and that there was no use in requesting a stay beyond the usual 90 days in 6 months tourist visa. She said I should try the migration bureau. I find this extremely hard to believe - how do, for example, retirees who travel throughout Europe for months on end get visas? Is it possible I was misinformed? Should I try an alternative channel? Any insights are welcome. Thank you!

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:00 pm

It might be possible for you to leave finland for another E.U country for a day at the end of three months and re-enter to restart the clock.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:53 am

archigabe wrote:It might be possible for you to leave finland for another E.U country for a day at the end of three months and re-enter to restart the clock.
That won't work because the OP will still be in violation of the 90 days in 6 months rule, no matter how many times she leaves Finland or the EU.

Penny, calling the Finnish embassy in Washington won't help, they can only help American citizens in America. If you are already in Finland then, as they say, you need to contact the migration bureau within Finland. They deal with migration issues for foreigners who already IN Finland. You might find someone sympathetic to your problem, but don't count on it.

Unfortunately the American government's treatment of foreigners in America hasn't done any favours for Americans in foreign countries.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.