ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Average Monthly Expense in London??

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dps
Newly Registered

Average Monthly Expense in London??

Post by dps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:43 am

hi All....

Can anybody give an estimation of average monthly expense in london.
I have applied for HSMP and want to know some good estimation from experienced people living in London or nearby

if anybody can give me a break up of food expenses, House rent, Travelling and other miscelleneous expenses ?

looking for your valuable reply ...

thanks
DPS
India

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:04 pm

In this Northerner's opinion, freaking outrageously expensive!

Then again, I spell London 'S-H-I-T-H-O-L-E'.......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ns7
BANNED

Post by ns7 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Average monthly expenses with independent accommodation: GBP1200
(In case of shared flat / single room it would be around GBP750)

Breakup (Independent Accommodation):
1 Bedroom Flat: GBP675 (Essex - Zone 4). Also one month's security.
-------------------------------------------------
Council Tax: GBP85
Gas/Electricity: GBP70 (Winters)
Phone/Broadband: GBP35
Mobile (Prepaid): GBP15
Water: GBP30
Travel Card : GBP133 (Zone 1 - 4)
Groceries: GBP150
Average single meal (outside): GBP5 - 7

rsathish

Re: Average Monthly Expense in London??

Post by rsathish » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:02 pm

My monthly expense: Approx £1100 per month.

Accomodation type: Single 780 per month (Zone 2)
Transport: 60 per month
Council tax: 95 per month (After 25% single person discount) - Approach the local CT office for this
Groceries: Approx 100 to 120 (depends on person)
Movies/ entertainment: 50£
Water: £100 for 6 months
Electricity : 40£ for 3 months
Gas: 40£ for 3 months

Keep some allowance, to meet any emergencies.

digiboy
Newly Registered

Post by digiboy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:40 pm

i live in zone 3,east london with 6 friends in a 3 bedroom house and here is my expenses...

each person gets 200£ per month for rent,counciltax,electric,gas,water,bt landline, 24mbps internet and mostly every common expenses is included...

my personal expenses are o2 mobile rent-35£
travel fare (zone2-3 )-40£(student discount card)
other expense(movies,beer,snacks)-50£

we are friends and we live a happy life.....we cook our own food ....

but not every accomodation is cheap...some of my friends more than 500£ because they prefer luxury,individual flats.....

u can find 250£ accomodation easily if u can share with other people...also u get a chance to live with people from different parts of the world......

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:38 pm

digiboy wrote:i live in zone 3,east london with 6 friends in a 3 bedroom house and here is my expenses...

each person gets 200£ per month for rent,counciltax,electric,gas,water,bt landline, 24mbps internet and mostly every common expenses is included...

my personal expenses are o2 mobile rent-35£
travel fare (zone2-3 )-40£(student discount card)
other expense(movies,beer,snacks)-50£

we are friends and we live a happy life.....we cook our own food ....

but not every accomodation is cheap...some of my friends more than 500£ because they prefer luxury,individual flats.....

u can find 250£ accomodation easily if u can share with other people...also u get a chance to live with people from different parts of the world......
The multicultural scene in East London is not something I would recommend to professionals from India. There has been a huge influx of 'certain' ethnicities to that neck of the woods in recent years and the general quality of living/security has taken a massive hit as a result. Its got to a stage where its not even safe to go out alone after dark. Try and stick to the more gentrified parts of London if you place any value on your safety and security..

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:08 pm

Yeah right, try Chelsea, Bayswater, Mayfair, Belgravia or Kensington....
Just kidding folks..These are reserved for the Mittals.But hey he was also a migrant......

visit the website http://www.upmystreet.com to get an idea of the area that you are planning to rent accomo, including crime profile. Not all of East London is bad. There are nuisance pockets throughout London (North, South, East and West)....

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:01 pm

SKUK wrote:Yeah right, try Chelsea, Bayswater, Mayfair, Belgravia or Kensington....Just kidding folks..These are reserved for the Mittals.But hey he was also a migrant......

visit the website http://www.upmystreet.com to get an idea of the area that you are planning to rent accomo, including crime profile. Not all of East London is bad. There are nuisance pockets throughout London (North, South, East and West)....
I wouldn`t mind living there if I earned a couple of mil a year :wink: . By gentrified I did not mean the playgrounds of the super rich but the rather nicer and more affordable parts of South West London, Surrey and Middlesex (like Twickenham) or even parts of North and West London which are not crime ridden and run down..

I know some professionals who live in East London ( in places like Hackney or Stratford) but that does not make those areas any safer or nicer to live in. Public services are sh*t, crime is rife and there is no sense of community (unless you belong to one of the incumbent 'communities') People in decent jobs who live there tend to be single and choose to live there solely due to its proximity to the City. Anyone who has a family and values security over money should consider living elsewhere...

Giri

Post by Giri » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:00 pm

Hello All,

I have got my HSMP visa approved and want to move to UK.
Can anyone tell me which area is cheaper (rental), best to live with family?
Where the indian population is concentrated?
or
Live outside london is the best option?

Thanks & Regards

Giri