ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Motoring Offences and Spousal Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

seamustio
Newly Registered

Motoring Offences and Spousal Visa

Post by seamustio » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:20 am

Hi All,

I'm in the process of applying for a spousal visa with my partner (American) hoping to bring them to the UK. This is the first time they have applied for a UK visa.

As part of the visa form, there is a question:

"Have you ever received any other penalty in relation to a criminal offence, for example a caution, reprimand, warning or similar penalties in the UK or another country?"

My partner has previously has previously been pulled over by a police officer for speeding twice, once in the last 9 months and again in 2012. He wasn't fined or arrested, but was told he was given a warning and the officer took his details.

There were also 2 other motoring offences:

He was given a parking ticket in a federal car park in the last 2 years, which he paid and carried on. He was also given a small fine for mistakenly driving into an EZ Pass toll lane without a pass.

We've checked his licence, and there are no records on the licence of any fines, warnings or infractions and he has no paperwork from the fine or from the warnings.

Should we declare these on his application? What impact will they have on the likelihood of being granted a spousal visa? Is this worth seeking advice from an immigration lawyer on?

Thank you for the help!

sunshineusa
BANNED

Re: Motoring Offences and Spousal Visa

Post by sunshineusa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:03 am

No way you'll be fine. I'm from the USA and had the same thing. I had failure to appear in court for a ticket, and I applied but cleared it up with paying and taking it off my record, just to be safe. I asked a lawyer and she said it's like DUI,
Hit and run, running from cops Idk?! Crazy stuff like that.

We get a little bit of a free pass from being in the usa

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Motoring Offences and Spousal Visa

Post by Casa » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:12 am

sunshineusa wrote:No way you'll be fine. I'm from the USA and had the same thing. I had failure to appear in court for a ticket, and I applied but cleared it up with paying and taking it off my record, just to be safe. I asked a lawyer and she said it's like DUI,
Hit and run, running from cops Idk?! Crazy stuff like that.

We get a little bit of a free pass from being in the usa
Individual countries have no 'free passes'. The Immigration Rules apply to all. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.