ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

About Irish Citizenship ...

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

manuel
Newly Registered

Post by manuel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:26 pm

Hi Everyone!,

I am one of the lucky ones who got 5 years residency by INIS under the EU treaty EU1. I am married with an EU citizen (German) and living in Ireland since 3 years - 2005.

Technically then, i got residency till 2013. So, I would like to know if i can apply and submit my application for the Irish Citizenship by Naturalisation this year or i have to wait 2 years more to complete 5 years and then apply for it?.

Counting that the application takes at least two and a half years to process, i think i can submit it from now on, but i am afraid to be refuse because it could be too early.

Does anybody knows what to do in this case?

Do you know also, which form should I fill out?

Any other detail I should know?

Thanks in advance and regards,

Manuel Salazar

microlab

Post by microlab » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:01 pm

Congratulations.
What kind of visa did you have prior to your current one?

manuel
Newly Registered

Post by manuel » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi microlab,

Since i arrived in 2005 i had Stamp 4, i guess because my wife is EU. I had not problem to apply and get a job.

Rgds,

Manuel

microlab

Post by microlab » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:10 pm

You can only apply after 5 years of continious residence,not before that.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... ralisation

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:38 am

Hi Manuel,
A good question because the reckonable residence rule is confusing. They're talking abt 'Permission' to remain all the time, although being 'resident' for 5 yrs is mandatory..i've known cases which applied soon after completing 4 yrs & got their Naturalization certificates..which is as recent as Sept-Oct 2007...funny how DOJ operate isn't it? Many folks are jumoing the queue & getting away because of ridiculously long wait times.. Ponder over this & decide :

Reckonable residence for non-EEA nationals
If you are not a citizen of an EEA member state or Switzerland, any period where you were required by law to have permission to remain in the State, but did not, will not be reckoned. You should remember that certain foreign nationals are exempted by law from the requirement to have permission to remain. In addition, periods of residence in the State will not be reckoned that were covered by a permission to remain if that permission:

Was for the purposes of study (that is, you were on a student visa) whether or not that study involved you being employed during any of the period of study, or
Was granted as you were on a working holiday visa, or
Was granted while your claim for asylum was being examined.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:15 am

HOTSPURS wrote:i've known cases which applied soon after completing 4 yrs & got their Naturalization certificates..which is as recent as Sept-Oct 2007...funny how DOJ operate isn't it? Many folks are jumoing the queue & getting away because of ridiculously long wait times
I don't believe that is true, they are extremely strict with the 5 year residency requirement as well as the 1 year continuous residence requirement.

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:39 am

Well, they're strict about the 5 year residency, alright, but seem to accept Applications & it's not until after 30 months that they actually 'Process' the application by which time, the applicant is eligible anyway.. it's a risk..you never know..but there have been Approvals...

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:44 am

And for EU1, the reckonable residence is only 3 years( 1 yr residency immediately preceding application & 2 out of 4 previous yrs) - So, you're eligible to apply anyway...The Application form for this is Form 8..

microlab

Post by microlab » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:26 pm

And for EU1, the reckonable residence is only 3 years
If you post something like this you should post link or copy/paste law where you find it.
Not true by the way.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000120

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:02 pm

microlab wrote:
And for EU1, the reckonable residence is only 3 years
If you post something like this you should post link or copy/paste law where you find it.
Not true by the way.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000120
The DoJ want to update that site. It tells you you're an Irish citizen simply by birth on the island of Ireland. That hasn't been true since 1st January 2005.

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:21 am

yeah, that site is crap..'As a person born in the island of Ireland, you have an entitlement to be an Irish citizen. '

by the way, the 3 yr residency requirement is for spouses of Irish citizens only - not for any other EU citizen..moreover, the spouse should have been married for atleast 3 yrs to the Irish citizen it seems..

pahadia
Ireland

Post by pahadia » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:05 pm

joesoap101 wrote:
HOTSPURS wrote:i've known cases which applied soon after completing 4 yrs & got their Naturalization certificates..which is as recent as Sept-Oct 2007...funny how DOJ operate isn't it? Many folks are jumoing the queue & getting away because of ridiculously long wait times
I don't believe that is true, they are extremely strict with the 5 year residency requirement as well as the 1 year continuous residence requirement.
Thats true. They are very strict with 5 years residency requirement. I was the one who applied 3 months well in advance and got rejected.It was on my knowns advice (he said he applied in advance and his application was accepted...but I don't think that was quite true). It was back in Sep 2005. I applied again after completing 5 year residency and my application was accepted.

manuel
Newly Registered

Post by manuel » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:59 am

Hi Lads,

An immigration officer told me that i could apply based on the number of stamps on my passport which currently are 5, but i've just spoken with an officer from the Citizenship department and she declined this argument saying that anyone who wish to apply citizenship by naturalisation non married with an Irish, must wait till get 5 years and the last year be continuously living on the state. I can not apply before despite the application takes 2,5 years to be processed.

I have 3 years on the state.

Does anyone knows the law or resolution which the immigration officers based on the number of stamps on the passports to apply for citizenship by naturalisation?,

thanks and regards,

Manuel

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:32 pm

You need 5 years reckonable residence, so if you have 5 stamps which for example equal 3 years thats not enough- your application will be refused and returned to you. The immigration officer probably just glanced over the stamps and didnt pay much attention to the duration of the permission to remain stipulated on each stamp.

The 2.5 - 3 year wait is in addition to the 5 years residence requirement.

'Applications for naturalisation received up to early August 2005 are currently being processed.'

gregorevna
Newly Registered

Re: About Irish Citizenship ...

Post by gregorevna » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:46 pm

manuel wrote:Hi Everyone!,

I am one of the lucky ones who got 5 years residency by INIS under the EU treaty EU1. I am married with an EU citizen (German) and living in Ireland since 3 years - 2005.

Technically then, i got residency till 2013. So, I would like to know if i can apply and submit my application for the Irish Citizenship by Naturalisation this year or i have to wait 2 years more to complete 5 years and then apply for it?.

Counting that the application takes at least two and a half years to process, i think i can submit it from now on, but i am afraid to be refuse because it could be too early.

Manuel Salazar
hey cograts i wish it was me. any way you r ready to apply you only need 3 years married and 4 all together legal years . even if you are refused u can reapply.

good luck

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Re: About Irish Citizenship ...

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:31 pm

gregorevna wrote:
manuel wrote:Hi Everyone!,

Manuel Salazar
hey cograts i wish it was me. any way you r ready to apply you only need 3 years married and 4 all together legal years . even if you are refused u can reapply.

good luck
That is not correct. Only people who are married to Irish citizens can apply after 3 years of residence in the island of Ireland (so that includes northern Ireland). So if you are married to a German citizen, you would still need to have 5 years residence before submitting an application.

HOTSPURS

reckonable residence

Post by HOTSPURS » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:52 am

joesoap101 wrote:You need 5 years reckonable residence, so if you have 5 stamps which for example equal 3 years thats not enough- your application will be refused and returned to you. The immigration officer probably just glanced over the stamps and didnt pay much attention to the duration of the permission to remain stipulated on each stamp.

The 2.5 - 3 year wait is in addition to the 5 years residence requirement.

'Applications for naturalisation received up to early August 2005 are currently being processed.'
Applicants with only 3 Stamps(Stamp 4) equalling 6 years are not having problems in their applications getting accepted.