ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for UK born child with settled parents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cindy88

British passport for UK born child with settled parents

Post by cindy88 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:03 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I have a quick question, I hope someone is going to help me thank you.
My husband and I are both settled in the UK, we both have Permanent residence card (we are from EEA). My child was born 2 weeks ago and I believe he has dual nationality British and Italian. My question is, in order to get him the British passport should I just apply with the form I get from the Post Office? many thanks.

Kind regards
C.

MrSlyFox

Re: British passport for UK born child with settled parents

Post by MrSlyFox » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:14 pm

Congrats! Yes a parent or both parents have PR and the child who was born in the UK, will have British Citizenship and you can apply for a passport online or obtain a form from the post office.

cindy88

Post by cindy88 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Thank you MrSlyFox. :)

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:25 am

Congratulations on the new birth. For the future, you should keep copies of all documents that show you had Permanent Residence when the child was born. (your PR cards + the documentation used to obtain the card, your birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc.). Just in case the child has to re-evidence British citizenship later in life. It would be recommended for the child to always keep a valid British passport and do not throw out expired passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:32 am

Good advice. Don't rely on anyone else to keep records.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:56 pm

JAJ wrote:It would be recommended for the child to always keep a valid British passport and do not throw out expired passports.
All of JAJ's advice is good, but I think this is the key bit that is worth repeating. We've seen a number of people on this board who have been screwed because their parents either didn't regularise their status in the UK while they were minors, or didn't collect sufficient documentation to prove their status when they were minors, and who now have to pay the price (both literally and metaphorically) as adults.