ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I dont want my husband to apply for a dependent visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

food
Newly Registered

I dont want my husband to apply for a dependent visa

Post by food » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:22 am

Hi

I am writing about my husband applying for a dependent visa so his mother can come and live with us in England. I got married to my husband 8 years ago and my mother in law has made every possible move to get us to separate. He speaks to her over the phone on daily basis. She advised him to leave me after getting his British Citizenship, which he did in 2015. I have lost my father in 2014 year later my only younger brother 19 years old in 2015. I have been through hell and back now I have another stress to deal with. My father in law passed away in April, which meant we had to go to Pakistan for the funeral. My husband acted so differently with me around his mother as if I am invisible. He made all important decisions without my knowledge or discussions only his mother knew his plans. Long story short it was a 3 weeks nightmare.

He is very determined to call his mother over as he has one sister who is married in Pakistan in a different city and he feels responsible for his mother. He has been spending his parent's money every month since he moved here, while my parents paid for his and my university fees. :x he has not discussed this with me and assumed I will be fine with this decision to move his mother into our home to live out rest of her long life, while I slave for him and her.

I don't want her to come here or get the visa. How can I stop this from happening? Please help me I am in desperate need. I don't want to leave him because I love him but I will have no choice if this happens. (We don't have any children together yet)

MrSlyFox

Re: I dont want my husband to apply for a dependent visa

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 am

If he intends to try and bring his mother out permanently I wouldn't worry, the only applicable visa would be an "adult dependent relative" which I do not know the figures for how many are granted but is basically impossible to be successful. The UK does not support family members immigrating at all if you are not the spouse or under 18 child there is no chance of coming to the UK as the family of a British Citizen. Which is pretty mean because EEA Citizens have the right to even bring extended family i.e. cousins etc if dependent on the EEA national. Very twisted in my option that a national of their own country has fewer rights than foreigners i.e. EEA Nationals!

secret.simon

Re: I dont want my husband to apply for a dependent visa

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 am

You can't stop him from applying, as you mentioned that your husband is now a British citizen in his own right.

But, as MrSlyFox has mentioned, it is practically impossible to get an Adult Dependent Relative (ADR) visa. I believe that only 6% applicants succeed at first and only a further 16% of applications succeed on appeal. That means that only about 22% of ADR applications succeed.

So, the odds of your mother-in-law moving in with you on a permanent basis is very slim.

Also see Older Dependent Relatives.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.