ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Going to give forum UKM a go - questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Fluke
Newly Registered

Going to give forum UKM a go - questions

Post by Fluke » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:41 am

Greetings all.

So my mum has been at me to do this for awhile but I never got around to it until now.
She wants me to do it because "I am entitled to it" and that's a whole other story there.
That said, my mum was born in the UK in 1959, got married to an American and moved to the states.
I came along in 1978 and have been in the states since. (I am what they call a "military brat")
Mum is a green card holder - she never became an American citizen.
Virtually no American family. Dad died several years ago and the only family I really have is in the UK.
Have been offered positions in the UK at times (I am a software developer) but never took anyone up on them. so if I get this done I am betting it would make that a lot easier if I ever decided to do it.

So on my mums side... she is British, my nan is British, granddad was British, great grandad was British...
My mum and nan are still alive, granddad died about 10 years ago. All were born in the UK.
My dad was an American and so was his dad. American family was very small and most everyone has died except for an aunt.

So I have all of the information for the form - or so I think.
And.. here are my questions..

In chapter two of the guide it lists the requirements and has several tests.
1 - Being born before 1983 - got that.
2 - I am not sure I really understand this one?
3 - Right to abode because of...
i = true.
ii = true? both my mums parents were born in the UK and so were their parents.. and their parents before them)
iii = false.
iv = false.
v = false

The guide has the following text:
"A lot of applications fail because the person meets the second of the these requirements
but not the third."
So I want to be sure about the third. Opinions?

This might seem odd but 1.2 thru 1.5 I really don't get.
1.2 is surname or family name.
so I have 3 names and a suffix.
Do they want all of those names in 1.2?
There is so much space for so many names it's confusing to me and I feel absolutely stupid.
1.3.. other names? Is that where your first, middle and suffix go?
Can someone give me an example of this?
I feel dumb asking about how to put my name on a form :(

2.5 - address of tax office?
I am guessing this one is blank for us in the states that never worked in the UK?

documents:
I had to get copies of mums birth certificate from the GRO. That should be on it's way soon.
My birth certificate has my mums maiden name and her married name on it as well as her country of birth.
So my last name is the same as her current last name.
(My parents did divorce but she never went back to using her maiden name, and they divorced here in the states)
Do I still need her marriage license?

Mums passport was lost years ago. Don't have that. How big an issue is this?

I do not have a passport. I am guessing I need to get one then?
Do I really have to get a passport just to send it away?

Appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer.
Thanks!

MrSlyFox

Re: Going to give forum UKM a go - questions

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:55 am

Yes you are entitled to be registered, You do meet all the requirements, and would have had right-of-abode in the UK if you mother had been able to pass it down to you like male British Citizens (Or citizens of the UK and Colonies as it was at the time) could have done prior to 1983.

Make sure you check the list of supporting documents,
Basically;
- Proof of your identity (Passport)
- Your birth certificate
- Mothers birth certificate (Proof she is a British Citizen, Because of her birth in the UK prior to 1983)
- Parents marriage certificate (Proof of her change of name)

and add whatever else they ask for, the divorce certificate isn't required unless your mother married and changed her name to a different man prior to marrying your father.

Tax office for the USA is the IRS (Internal Revenue Service), I.e. where you are paying your tax to

the questions;
(Example name for this is John Baker Smith )
1.2 - Is your last name "Smith"
1.3 "John Baker"
1.4 Leave blank if you never changed your name (i.e. it is the same as it is on your birth certificate)
1.5 Leave blank if you never had any other names or alias ()

It takes several months to process (somewhere on the forum is a timeline) and then you'll be invited to attend a ceremony and receive your British Nationality certificate of registration then you may apply for a British Passport. Note you will only be British by descent (after registering as a citizen) i.e. your children if not born in the UK will not be British Citizens.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:39 pm

I did UKM last year.

1.2 last name
1.3 first name, middle name
1.4 blank
1.5 blank
1.6 usa
1.7 blank

2.5 nearest irs office in my area

I had my long birth certificate which showed the parents names. I had no marriage certificate, but if you have one certainly include it.

I didn't have mother's uk passport. Included mother's original birth certificate, my original passport and birth certificate.

Has to go to the NYC British consulate for the oath/pledge and get the registration certificate. Then send the certificate out for the passport application. Passport was done in 2.5 weeks.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:00 pm

Fluke wrote: The guide has the following text:
"A lot of applications fail because the person meets the second of the these requirements
but not the third."
So I want to be sure about the third. Opinions?
I think the second refers to:
"2. you would have become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by
descent if women had been able to pass on citizenship to their children
in the same way as men at the time of your birth; and"

the third refers to:
"3. you have right of abode which you acquired because: ..."

You need to meet one of the conditions in 3.

Fluke
Newly Registered

Post by Fluke » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Still wrestling with the passport thing.
Since I don't have (an American) one I take it I need to go ahead and get it sorted then?
Or is there another way that doesn't involve getting a passport just to send it to them?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:34 am

You do not need to hold a passport in order to be eligible to apply for British citizenship under UKM.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Fluke
Newly Registered

Post by Fluke » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Thank you.

Question about referees...
I know someone on town council here in the states - does that qualify as "Councillor: local or county"
And what about an HR manager of an S Corp here in the states for "Manager/Personnel officer (of limited company) "
An S corp has some commonality with an LC or LLC. Good enough?