ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship through spouse or alone?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Breev
Newly Registered

Citizenship through spouse or alone?

Post by Breev » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm an EU citizen and have recently obtained my DCPR, and now want to apply for citizenship (the letter accompanying my DCPR says that PR was achieved in Spring 2016, so I can go ahead and apply for citizenship).
My British partner and I are, however, getting married soon, so as I see it, I have 2 choices: either apply for citizenship in my own right or as the spouse of a British citizen. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to applying for citizenship as the spouse of a British partner?

Applying as a spouse seems slightly more straightforward (only having to list absences over the last 3 years), but could it lead to any problems in the future (i.e. if we'd get divorced, my spouse passes away, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship through spouse or alone?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:47 pm

No difference, same end result, no effect if you should separate etc.

3 year route has slightly difference requirements though, obvs must be married, no more than 270 days absence in 3 years and you must have been physically present exactly 3 years prior to the date of application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

khuseynov
Newly Registered

Post by khuseynov » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:30 pm

If you UK Permanent Residency (ILR) and have been in the UK for 1 year after obtaining ILR (without being absent for more than 90 days), then apply as normal. why do you need to obtain spouse visa and additional 3 year route ? Just get your passport and done...

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:35 pm

khuseynov wrote:If you UK Permanent Residency (ILR) and have been in the UK for 1 year after obtaining ILR (without being absent for more than 90 days), then apply as normal. why do you need to obtain spouse visa and additional 3 year route ? Just get your passport and done...
Breev Isn't asking about obtaining a spouse visa, and PR and ILR may both be settled status in the UK, however, they are not the same thing.

Breev
Newly Registered

Post by Breev » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks for all your responses.

CR001: It is helpful to know there is no difference in the end result. I don't think there has been any year in the last 6 or so where I have been absent for more than 90 days. Any absences have been fairly short (no more than 3 weeks) so it should be easy enough to find a day where I was present in the UK 3 years ago, and apply on that day.

khuseynov: I don't fully understand your response, but as the following poster points out, I think we are talking about different things. I'm talking about this: https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen

Tea_Rocket
United States of America

Post by Tea_Rocket » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 pm

It sounds like you are in the opposite situation to the one I was in—I applied to naturalise after getting married because otherwise I would have had to wait until the first anniversary of my getting indefinite leave to remain, which is in August. In your case, it sounds like you've already had ILR for a year, so waiting to apply as the spouse of a UK citizen would mean delaying your application. Personally, I would apply under the category that allows me to do it sooner, but if you're not in a rush, even that doesn't matter very much.

Breev
Newly Registered

Post by Breev » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Tea_Rocket wrote:In your case, it sounds like you've already had ILR for a year, so waiting to apply as the spouse of a UK citizen would mean delaying your application. Personally, I would apply under the category that allows me to do it sooner, but if you're not in a rush, even that doesn't matter very much.
Thanks, that's a useful point. Unfortunately my home country only allows dual citizenship under a small number of circumstances, including if one is married to someone with another nationality. This means I'll have to wait until I'm married anyway in order not to lose my original nationality.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:10 am

Breev wrote: Thanks, that's a useful point. Unfortunately my home country only allows dual citizenship under a small number of circumstances, including if one is married to someone with another nationality. This means I'll have to wait until I'm married anyway in order not to lose my original nationality.
Sounds like the Netherlands?

In answer to your question- there is no difference as to the "quality" of British citizenship by naturalisation based on marriage vs. otherwise.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.