ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What Benefit am I entitle to as a British Citizen?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

atikur
United Kingdom

What Benefit am I entitle to as a British Citizen?

Post by atikur » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Hi,

Finally my war is ended. I've become a British Citizen (Me, My 3years old daughter). My wife is still my dependent in five years route. Her second extension is due in August 2018. I do a full time job and earning around 28K and living in a tiny room in a shared house to maintain my family. I got debt which i am paying off and also trying to squeeze out some money towards a fund to buy a house. my wife can't work because of baby.
I am wondering if anyone can advice me regarding any benefit that i may possibly be entitled to and also how can i get to the property ladder or rent a house from council. At the moment I am renting this 3bedroomhouse privately. I'll much appreciate If anyone here can guide me through. Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: What Benefit am I entitle to as a British Citizen?

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:17 am

Child benefit in YOUR name. Child tax credits if you qualify in JOINT names with your spouse.

Check the benefit calculator link below to check based on your circumstances

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants

Don't expect a council house, the waiting list is many years long.

Debt has no influence on what benefits you can claim and is not relevant, it is your responsibility.

IF you qualify for housing benefit, you won't get the rate for a 3 bedroom if you only have 1 child.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

atikur
United Kingdom

Post by atikur » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm

CR001 wrote:Child benefit in YOUR name. Child tax credits if you qualify in JOINT names with your spouse.

Check the benefit calculator link below to check based on your circumstances

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants

Don't expect a council house, the waiting list is many years long.

Debt has no influence on what benefits you can claim and is not relevant, it is your responsibility.

IF you qualify for housing benefit, you won't get the rate for a 3 bedroom if you only have 1 child.
Thank you very much for your kind reply. what did you mean by JOINT names? My wife is my dependent (5years route), so she is not eligible for public recourse i believe.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:46 pm

You must claim tax credits in JOINT names with your spouse. If you don't, it is benefit fraud.

It will have no effect on her visa or future ILR etc. if you claim jointly.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

babal_001
Newly Registered

Post by babal_001 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:20 pm

CR001 wrote:You must claim tax credits in JOINT names with your spouse. If you don't, it is benefit fraud.

It will have no effect on her visa or future ILR etc. if you claim jointly.
Thx cr001 to clarify the query.
I am in a same senario, myself dependent husband
Got ilr daughter for British passport, we both ate under low earning no and getting child benefit, CTCredit,
Recently my husband got some money under working tax credit, so getting WTC is ok?.