ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born to parent on PRC - Citizenship/Passport docs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Itabra
Newly Registered

Child born to parent on PRC - Citizenship/Passport docs

Post by Itabra » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 am

Hi
I'm European living in UK since 2004
My wife is Non European living in UK since 2005 with a UK Permanent Residence Card issued in Oct2010. Therefore she should be legally settled in the UK.

My daughter was born in 2017 in UK. I believed that she is automatically British and I could apply for her British passport as on this forum I was told that a Permanent Residence Card is the same of ILR.

I called Passport Advice Line in order to double check wich documents I should send along with the application as I supposed that my wife's passport and Permanent resident card would be enough along with my daughter's Full birth certificate.
A couple of persons there gave me confusing info as they told me that Permanet Residence card is not the same of ILR and therefore they asked me to provide copies of P45, P60 and payslips for the last 5 years...feeling like the same process I went through for my wife PRC.
They also asked for both parent birth certificate...(?)
None of this documents are listed on https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... a-passport for Applicants born in the UK.

they also confused me about my daughter's British citizenship.

Is there anybody with similar experience ?
Have you applied directly for British Passort?
Which documents have you provided?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Child born to parent on PRC - Citizenship/Passport docs

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:11 am

In a previous post this document was referenced - Treaty Rights Passport Application:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... plications

This shows what is required for your circumstances. It appears child is British Citizen on account of parent having settled status at time of birth (i.e. hold PR).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi,

As the permanent residence document was issued prior to your child's birth in the UK you only need to send the following:

- passport application form
- PR document
- child's full UK birth certificate
- evidence the parent with the PR document was residing in the UK between the issue date of the card and your daughter's birth to show they have not lost PR status

It is handy to also include a cover letter that you are applying for a passport under Section 1 (1) b of the British Nationality Act 1981 and that your child is British by birth as they were born in the UK to a settled person. The cover letter is not a must but helpful as the form doesn't really accommodate Section 1 (1) b applications.

That's what I sent and my daughter received her passport in just over a week.

Note: They did contact our referee so be mindful of that and ask your referee to check their post on a regular basis :-)
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Itabra
Newly Registered

Post by Itabra » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:34 pm

thank you both.

I assume that PR document must be the original....or I can send a copy ?

Many thanks again

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Original. If you pay 3 pounds extra, they'll return your supporting documents via secure delivery.
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.