ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship by Decent UKM for brother while visiting UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SandraArchangel
Newly Registered

British Citizenship by Decent UKM for brother while visiting UK

Post by SandraArchangel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:48 am

Hi all,

I am a British citizen through decent (mother born in UK) and i have been living in the UK for a year now. My twin brother also wants to apply (currently residing in South Africa) Now my question is, if he comes to me on holiday, can he apply for his citizenship and his British passport while visiting me? IF he comes on a holiday Visa, will he be sent back to South Africa while the application is in process in the UK? He has all the documentation required to apply for his passport except for the character reference. He doesn't know anyone in South Africa who has a British passport who can vouch for him. Will they require this still if he does his application in the UK?

Thanking you in advance
Sandy

JAJ
Australia

Re: British Citizenship by Decent UKM for brother while visi

Post by JAJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:05 pm

When was he born? Before or after 1.1.1983.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:29 pm

JAJ wrote:When was he born? Before or after 1.1.1983.
OP and brother born before 1983.

british-citizenship/ukm-applicants-for- ... l#p1302504
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:44 am

As I understand it the "no-switching" rule does not apply to citizenship applications. So in theory, someone can arrive as a tourist and apply for UKM/UKF- however, in practice, if an Immigration Officer thinks an arriving tourist is planning to do that, they may well refuse entry.

In addition, processing time is usually more than the typical tourist stay in the U.K. and it would still be necessary to attend a citizenship ceremony. Normally those living outside the U.K. can get a citizen of the country of residence to act as reference if necessary.

He needs to obtain Home Affairs permission to keep his South African citizenship upon becoming British (if he wants to stay South African).

Also- if he has a spouse/family and is planning to bring them to settle in the U.K. he should look to see if he will qualify to sponsor for a spouse visa and if not, consider the pros and cons of obtaining an ancestry visa instead of British citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

EndGame
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Re: British Citizenship by Decent UKM for brother while visiting UK

Post by EndGame » Thu May 10, 2018 8:02 am

SandraArchangel, Did your brother end up getting his UKM and if he did, did he do this while visiting the UK asking as My sister is also thinking about going over and applying while Visiting family. Thank you 😊