ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name on the passport and the use of other names

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

foxmulder
Newly Registered

Name on the passport and the use of other names

Post by foxmulder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:48 pm

hi All

I have got a question about the use of names. My Polish name is Łukasz. However, since I have moved to the UK I have always used the English equivalent which is Lucas (it sounds and looks more natural). On my Passport and other documents my Polish name is given.

Also I had no issue getting a Permanent Residence using the mixture of documents with Lucas and Lukasz in them. However, I have got a question about the application for the British citizenship and if this name discrepancy will be an issue or would it be considered a minor change of forename?

The application Form_AN_02-17 states that:
The reason why this is different from the name on your passport or other official documents:
You must provide evidence of this name, such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership
certificate or deed poll. It is your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide is correct. Any suspicion of deception will be investigated.
We will not normally issue a certificate of registration or naturalisation in the name that is different from a person’s official documents. A British passport will not be issued in a different name from the one in a person’s foreign passport or travel document.
I intend to give them my name as on my Passport which is Lukasz and provide evidence of the language knowledge from the English university which has got Lucas in them. Also on my UK driving license there is the English equivalent of my name.
THe questions is will that constitute an issue or should i request my postgradualte diploma with the Polish variant of my name?

I am not an expert and do not know if this will be considered as a minor name change and if I should mention this at all to the home office?

From Annex A: use of names in passports I read the following:
Minor changes to forenames or surnames
5.1 Minor changes to forenames can be accepted when the applicant provides two pieces of documentary evidence to show the name is used for all purposes, these can be selected from the document lists contained within 4.1.
And
Use of name evidence:
 tax record (such as a letter form tax authority)
 employment record (such as an official letter from employer
 educational record (such as a school report)
 letter from central, regional or local government department
 driving licence (UK or overseas)
 national ID card or equivalent
 visa or residence permit
 medical/health card
 voters card
 bank statement (UK applications only)
 baptismal/confirmation certificate
I have got my diploma and UK driving license to prove my other name.

Help much appreciated.

LilyLalilu

Re: Name on the passport and the use of other names

Post by LilyLalilu » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:41 pm

It hopefully shouldn't be an issue for naturalisation, just explain on page 22 of the form that you have been using an anglicised version of your name. However, they will only issue the naturalisation certificate in the name of Lukasz (unless you can get your Polish ID documents changed prior to applying).
It might be worth getting a letter of confirmation of studies from your University Registry office which also confirms some other personal details such as DOB - that way the HO will hopefully be able to make out that it is definitely the same person.

Once you get to the stage of the UK passport application:
As you are a dual national, your British passport will only be issued in the name that your Polish passport/ID card is in, even if you have a deed poll.
Unless any of the exceptions in Section 6.5 onwards of the document linked below apply to you, you will need to get your Polish documents changed first or HMPO won't issue you a UK passport in the anglicised name.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-guidance

Also see this discussion for more info: british-citizenship/new-policy-regardin ... 16754.html
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

foxmulder
Newly Registered

Post by foxmulder » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks Lily!

First of all for the comprehensive and detailes response. It is of course very appreciated!

The reason I am a bit worried and confused is because last week I wanted to take the Life in the UK test and I wrote my anglicised name but took my Polish ID card. Because the name was somehow different they did not allow me to take the test saying it has to be exactly as on the original document and the name I signed up for the test with (this will teach me).

The Home office had no issue giving me a permanent residence document based on a variety of sources such as bank statements, confirmation of employment (also with my anglicised name), utility bills etc. However, I think that the rules for granting a permanent residence are a bit less strict than the ones for passing the Life in the UK test.

I will give them my other name and get a letter from the University confirming my identity and that I have used different name during my studies. I figured that If my UK driving license has got an anglicised name and other papers then there will be no suspicion of fraud or identity theft etc and it will be all right what do you think?

Another quick question. If the HO rejects my application do I lose the full applicaiton fee of £1,236 or alternatively do I just lose the administration fee of a sort?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:00 am

British citizenship will only be granted based on the name of official identity documents, i.e. your foreign passport. Your English test and LIUK should be booked and done with the same name as your foreign passport.

Submitting university letters re English version of name will likely be ignored.

If your application is refused, you lose the fee. If invalid, you get some back.

If HO have a query on your names, they will write to you asking for official documentation of the name change (deed poll, updated foreign passport etc). If you don't have that, your application won't progress any further.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

foxmulder
Newly Registered

Post by foxmulder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:57 pm

Thanks CR001. What about the rules and regulations that I have posted above. I am iterested whether I should go with the application claiming that this is a minor name change for the English equivalent. Lucas , Lukasz is similar to different spelling of Brian, Bryan etc.

Also I have got evidence that I used it for all other purposes in the UK e.g. university diploma, driving license and letter from my full time job.

Do you know if there are any specific guidelines that HO would use to recognise that something as a 'minor name change'?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:05 pm

foxmulder wrote:Thanks CR001. What about the rules and regulations that I have posted above. I am iterested whether I should go with the application claiming that this is a minor name change for the English equivalent. Lucas , Lukasz is similar to different spelling of Brian, Bryan etc.

Also I have got evidence that I used it for all other purposes in the UK e.g. university diploma, driving license and letter from my full time job.

Do you know if there are any specific guidelines that HO would use to recognise that something as a 'minor name change'?
A deed poll and updated foreign passport. Letters, diploma and drivers license likely not sufficient.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

foxmulder
Newly Registered

Post by foxmulder » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:01 pm

What if my deed poll date is after the date of the rest of the documents changes would that be an issue?