ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british passport application for canadian baby with uk dad

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marty

british passport application for canadian baby with uk dad

Post by marty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:59 pm

can i apply for british passport for my baby (if shes born in canada and living in canada with me ( canadian citizen). father is living in uk and he is uk born and we are not married yet . Father is on the birth certificate of our daughter. i heard that is possible for me to get her a british passport but then other people say that we must be married. ?? could someone give me answer pls.

JAJ
Australia

Re: british passport application for canadian baby with uk d

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:56 pm

marty wrote:can i apply for british passport for my baby (if shes born in canada and living in canada with me ( canadian citizen). father is living in uk and he is uk born and we are not married yet . Father is on the birth certificate of our daughter. i heard that is possible for me to get her a british passport but then other people say that we must be married. ?? could someone give me answer pls.
When was the child born? (year and month).

marty

Post by marty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:19 pm

shes not born yet . im due end of april 2008, but i wanna know as i would like to apply soon as we can for it if i can. i asked the question as if she was already born, sorry.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:39 pm

marty wrote:shes not born yet . im due end of april 2008, but i wanna know as i would like to apply soon as we can for it if i can. i asked the question as if she was already born, sorry.
Yes she is British (by descent, if born in Canada). You should be able to obtain a passport from the BHC in Canada.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 pm

The father is a British citizen, "otherwise than by descent".

Yes, the baby will automatically British by descent under section 2(1)(a) of the BNA 1981, as the father will satisfy the definition of "father" (Chapter 6: General Information, Annex F: Explanation of terms 22.2( c )).

See also Am I eligible for a UK passport and Consular Birth Registration and

The Pregnancy Book 2007 and Birth to five: 2007 edition.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:10 pm

As noted on another thread, consular birth registration is not available in Canada although it won't affect the child's claim to British citizenship.

Father should be named on child's Canadian birth certificate.