ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What really is a "supplementary course"?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

new2here
Newly Registered

What really is a "supplementary course"?

Post by new2here » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:36 pm

According to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2017.pdf (page 71): Can I do extra studies whilst in the UK?

"319. You are allowed to do a supplementary course, for example, an evening
class
, as well as your main course of study.

This supplementary course can be in any subject, and does not have to relate to your main course of study.

You do not need permission from us to undertake a supplementary course and you are not required to tell your Tier 4 sponsor.

You can undertake supplementary study at any time during the period of leave granted for your
main course of study.

However, you must make sure that your supplementary course does not in any way hinder your progress on your main course of studies."

===============================================

I kinda wish this was more explicit. "An" evening class--am I taking this too literally?

What happens if someone decides to take a level 6 award in whatever field or do a TEFL programme etc.

Does that still count as "supplementary"? (I've noted all the other details in 319. but the part about "supplementary course" mystifies me).

Or maybe that's kind of the point to allow immigration officials the leeway to interpret info. as they see fit?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Re: What really is a "supplementary course"?

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 am

new2here wrote:What happens if someone decides to take a level 6 award in whatever field or do a TEFL programme etc. Does that still count as "supplementary"?
Yes.
new2here wrote:(I've noted all the other details in 319. but the part about "supplementary course" mystifies me).Or maybe that's kind of the point to allow immigration officials the leeway to interpret info. as they see fit?
I don't understand why you are mystified. It is clear that you can do any other study you wish.

Note that while "you are not required to tell your Tier 4 sponsor" about supplementary study, some higher education institutions do have academic regulations that prohibit a student from doing more than one Higher Education course at the same time. But that is an academic matter, nothing to do with immigration.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

new2here
Newly Registered

Post by new2here » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:52 pm

I stated why I was mystified.

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:59 pm

new2here wrote:I stated why I was mystified.
Hopefully you are now enlightened.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.