ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired English language tests for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fbacker
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Expired English language tests for citizenship

Post by fbacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 pm

I would like to clarify re: the English language requirements for Naturalisation/Citizenship application for my wife.

My wife applied for settlement visa in 2011 and had to take IELTS to prove the English Language requirement for the Settlement Visa as a dependent.
The same was used for her ILR application in July 2013.

The English Language requirement on the gov.uk website ( link & excerpt below) states that she does not have take any approved English language test again even if the qualification has run out as it was used for the settlement Visa.

When I inquired with National Checking service, I was advised that the IELTS has to be after 28th October and asked me to check with Home office . I called up the HO customer service , the advisor said that if the IELTS was done in 2011, it will be invalid and have to take the test again.

Due to the conflicting information on the gov.uk website and the guidance note ( the excerpt below), Can anyone clarify which of the information below ( gov.uk website or AN guidance ) is correct & if she has to take an approved Language test again?

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.
Applying for citizenship
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

[Page 13-14 of AN Guidance Jan 2017]

Evidence of knowledge of language and of life in the UK
We will only accept English language qualifications from the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications.
You will need to provide both:
• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor;
and either

a Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from the Secure English Language Test list. You must ensure that you state the test number at section 1.23 of the form);
or
• confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th October 2013, in order to obtain settlement
or
• Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
o An Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) and English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC (these will show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and was taught in English).
o An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada), plus an Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming that your qualification is comparable to a UK degree OR
Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country

yoliat123
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Expired English language tests for citizenship

Post by yoliat123 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm

fbacker wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:14 pm
I would like to clarify re: the English language requirements for Naturalisation/Citizenship application for my wife.

My wife applied for settlement visa in 2011 and had to take IELTS to prove the English Language requirement for the Settlement Visa as a dependent.
The same was used for her ILR application in July 2013.

The English Language requirement on the gov.uk website ( link & excerpt below) states that she does not have take any approved English language test again even if the qualification has run out as it was used for the settlement Visa.

When I inquired with National Checking service, I was advised that the IELTS has to be after 28th October and asked me to check with Home office . I called up the HO customer service , the advisor said that if the IELTS was done in 2011, it will be invalid and have to take the test again.

Due to the conflicting information on the gov.uk website and the guidance note ( the excerpt below), Can anyone clarify which of the information below ( gov.uk website or AN guidance ) is correct & if she has to take an approved Language test again?

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/app ... ifications

If your qualification has run out
Some recognised test qualifications only last for 2 years. You can still use a B1 level qualification that you took more than 2 years ago in 2 situations.
Applying for citizenship
You can use a B1 level qualification that’s run out if you’re applying for citizenship and it was accepted when you settled in the UK.

[Page 13-14 of AN Guidance Jan 2017]

Evidence of knowledge of language and of life in the UK
We will only accept English language qualifications from the Home Office approved list of acceptable qualifications.
You will need to provide both:
• Letter confirming success in the Life in the UK Test, stamped and signed by the Test Supervisor;
and either

a Home Office approved qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, from the Secure English Language Test list. You must ensure that you state the test number at section 1.23 of the form);
or
• confirmation that you met the English language requirement, on or after 28th October 2013, in order to obtain settlement
or
• Your original degree certificate and one of the following:
o An Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) and English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC (these will show us that UK NARIC are content that your qualification is equivalent to a UK degree and was taught in English).
o An original and official certificate from your university confirming the degree was taught or researched in a majority English-speaking country (except Canada), plus an Academic Qualification Level statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming that your qualification is comparable to a UK degree OR
Your passport showing that you are a national of a majority English speaking country
Hi fbacker,
I am on the same boat at the moment, and wonder how did your application go? did your wife have to retake an English exam?
hope everything went positive!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 pm

yoliat123 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:44 pm
Hi fbacker,
I am on the same boat at the moment, and wonder how did your application go? did your wife have to retake an English exam?
The OP only applied on 18th July and has not received approval as yet. Wife took another test to meet the HO English requirement.

british-citizenship/naturalisation-appl ... l#p1519167

You also seem to have another username registered against your IP address?? If you have two user IDs, this is not permitted on the forum.

member/Chaska/

Please continue your questions in your existing topic, although you don't state exactly when in 2013 you applied for ILR. Your flag assumes you are Australian???

british-citizenship/advice-on-english-l ... l#p1520618
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

yoliat123
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by yoliat123 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:13 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 pm
yoliat123 wrote:
Hi fbacker,
The OP only applied on 18th July and has not received approval as yet. Wife took another test to meet the HO English requirement.

You also seem to have another username registered against your IP address?? If you have two user IDs, this is not permitted on the forum.

member/Chaska/

Please continue your questions in your existing topic, although you don't state exactly when in 2013 you applied for ILR. Your flag assumes you are Australian???

I know, I tried to sign in again and it wouldn't let me, neither with the option ''forgot password'', so I had not choice that create another user, and about the flags, it didn't have the option for England nor United Kingdom.
sorry I didn't know it wasn't allowed.

I got my ILR in September 2013.

PS. what are PO initials for?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:18 pm

yoliat123 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:13 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:56 pm
yoliat123 wrote:
Hi fbacker,

member/Chaska/

I know, I tried to sign in again and it wouldn't let me, neither with the option ''forgot password'', so I had not choice that create another user, and about the flags, it didn't have the option for England nor United Kingdom.
sorry I didn't know it wasn't allowed.

I got my ILR in September 2013.

PS. what are PO initials for?
OP = Original Poster.

Please continue in your other topic you have with your other username and I will respond to you there.

There definitely is a UK flag in the selection, titled 'Great Britain'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.