ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born in UK.. in 1984, now seeking settlement

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tobiashomer

Born in UK.. in 1984, now seeking settlement

Post by tobiashomer » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 pm

my daughter was born in London in 1984, just after the Nationality Act took away her right to register as a citizen. parents non-UK nationals then in UK on work permit. she left UK well before 10th birthday. older brother born before 1981, UK citizen. parents now back in UK, just finished 5 years on HSMP and obtained ILR; will apply for naturalisation in January 2009.

daughter in question now in Scotland on Fresh Talent after graduating with 1st from Scottish uni; employed by Scottish company who says they would sponsor her for work permit when WISS visa expires in a few months. logically she could apply for ILR in another 5 years, or 4 as she will have been legally in UK for 10 years by then.

question: does anyone know if she would qualify for registration under any possible angle? her parents will be citizens in a year or so, but obviously were not when she was born. But the whole family is now settled in the UK (even her younger brother). the naturalisation form provides for "other circumstances". Does anyone have experience or information about what sort of "other circumstances" might give one the possibility of an ex gratia exception tot he rules?

many thanks to anyone who has an idea

Twin
Member of Standing

Post by Twin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:02 pm

Once her parents obtains ILR, then she can register as a British Citizen straight away. That is my understanding.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:07 pm

Twin wrote:Once her parents obtains ILR, then she can register as a British Citizen straight away. That is my understanding.
That's not correct. Registration under form MN1 is only for children under 18.

Twin
Member of Standing

Post by Twin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:16 pm

paulp wrote:
Twin wrote:Once her parents obtains ILR, then she can register as a British Citizen straight away. That is my understanding.
That's not correct. Registration under form MN1 is only for children under 18.
oops! What happens to her now?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:22 pm

Twin wrote:oops! What happens to her now?
She will have to qualify on her own merits.

I also don't know of any basis to get ILR any quicker.

tobiashomer

Post by tobiashomer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:49 pm

many thanks guys, that is what I was afraid of. who knows what the rules will be like in 4 or 5 years!

foxxymama
Newly Registered

Re: Born in UK.. in 1984, now seeking settlement

Post by foxxymama » Mon May 26, 2014 5:38 pm

tobiashomer How were you able to regularize your settlement, as I know someone in the same situation exactly as yours at present. I am assuming you have been able to overcome and resolve this issue now.