ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English competency letter

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zhassan

English competency letter

Post by zhassan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:22 am

Geeks,

I already applied last week, but just have a bit of concern about an issue. My Master degree was evaluated as equivalent to standard Bachelor degree in Britian. I get the English competency letter from the same Uni as I finished my Master degree.

Will that make any problem to case worker , as HSMP guidelines say to get letter from Institutiuon where you completed the Bachelor degree?My understanding while getting letter was since my degree is equivalent to Bachelor, so this will serve the purpose.

Any help is greatly appreciated please.

Regards,
Zia-ul-Hassan :o

kmsr1234

Post by kmsr1234 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 am

Mr.hassan,

According to the Homeoffice guidelines the case worker only accpets the english competency letter from the university which awarded u the bachelor's degree...

Now that u have applied you cannot do much about it......

Hope for the positive buddy.. :!:

Cheer's to life..
knowledge increases when you share it
-----------------------------------------
EC Applied: VFS_HYD 31/DEC/07
Integra Verification : 4/jan/08
Integra report to BHC : No Idea
Final Result : Waiting
-----------------------------------------

gauravgupta2808

To Be safe

Post by gauravgupta2808 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:35 am

Hi Zia-ul-Hassan,

Its better to submit the letter from Bachelor Uni to be safe.
If your application is not under consideration, you can send in more documents.

Cheers!!

asim_khan

Post by asim_khan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:49 am

Hey Zia,

well i believe everything goes right for ya but i hav a concern here. As per the guidance and case worker manual, if u have done Master's from any UNI which is equivalent to UK Bachelor's, then u will get points (30) for having qualification equivalent to UK Bachelor but wont be able to met english language requirement, though u provided letter from UNI..

To qualify for English Language Requirement, u must provide IELTS or u shud have studied at least a 3 yrs Bachelor's degree or 4 yrs bachelor's degree not master's degree euivalent to UK Bachleor's.

Hope i m clear enough...

Asim

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Well I think I will wait , and see if case worker picks this up. Otherwise probably IELTS is easy option at the moment but getting test date is bit annoying here in Australia, there is at least one month wait queue.

Anyway thanks for the feedbak.

Regards,
Zia-ul-Hassan
ZIA

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:48 pm

Folks,

I found the following text in the case worker guide lines

Bachelor degrees taught in English
Applicants may present a Bachelor degree, which was taught in English, as evidence towards this category.Caseworkers should be satisfied that:

• the qualification has been formally awarded to the applicant;
• the qualification is recognised by NARIC as equivalent to a UK Bachelor degree;
• the qualification was taught in English.

In my case the MSc degree which was evaluated by NARIC as equivalent to UK's Bachelor was taught in English. And letter is for the same.

What is your say?

Cheers,
Zia-ul-Hassan

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:38 am

Spending some more time in reading the case worker notes. The following paragraph says

Qualifications taught in English claimed in the ‘Qualifications’ category
Where points have been awarded in the Qualifications category in recognition of a Bachelors degree, and this same qualification is being used to establish that the applicant meets the English Language Requirement of HSMP, then caseworkers will not need to check bullet points 1 and 2 above, as these points will have been established when assessing the qualification for points scoring purposes. However, in these circumstances caseworkers will still need to be satisfied that the qualification in question was taught in English. This information should be submitted in a letter from the institution.

In my case the English competency letter I got from the same institution , from where my qualification was evaluated as equivalent to Bachelor by NARIC.

Can commuters please extend their views on this issue?

Regards,
Zia-ul-Hassan

zhassan

Post by zhassan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:29 am

Another extract from HSMP applicant guidelines

3. Please note – whilst a degree equivalent to UK Bachelor level that meets the requirements specified above will normally be accepted for the purposes of satisfying the English language requirement, degrees equivalent to a UK academic level higher than Bachelors, (such as Masters or PhDs) and professional/vocational qualifications will not.

So which statement is correct. Any folks from their experience would like to comment please.

HTH,
Zia-ul-Hassan

aimtiaz
Newly Registered

Please do post on the board ones your decision is arrived.

Post by aimtiaz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:07 am

Hi,

I am also in same dilemma, if you post the outcome of your application on the board, it will help us a lot.

Regards,
Ahson Imtiaz.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: English competency letter

Post by pantaiema » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:19 pm

In normal circumstance you can not use this assumption. Anyway, what s the point now you have submitted your applications the best thing you could do is that pray (if believe in something) and relax, enjoy life.

zhassan wrote:Geeks,

I already applied last week, but just have a bit of concern about an issue. My Master degree was evaluated as equivalent to standard Bachelor degree in Britian. I get the English competency letter from the same Uni as I finished my Master degree.

Will that make any problem to case worker , as HSMP guidelines say to get letter from Institutiuon where you completed the Bachelor degree?My understanding while getting letter was since my degree is equivalent to Bachelor, so this will serve the purpose.

Any help is greatly appreciated please.

Regards,
Zia-ul-Hassan :o
Pantaiema

aimtiaz
Newly Registered

Post by aimtiaz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:01 am

One of my friend applied for HSMP extension in May 2007 last year and supplied the university letter for english proficiency, he also had done masters from university in karachi which is (2 yrs BSc + 2 yrs MCS) and Home Office accepted that letter and granted him the FLR. He got reply back from them in 3 weeks with approval.

powerontop
Newly Registered

Any updates?

Post by powerontop » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:29 am

Hi guys,
I am new to this helpful forum. I have done my MCA from Madurai Kamraj University from Mumbai centre. I want to apply for HSMP and so I have sent a request to MKU for "Medium of Instruction" certificate.
Now I get to know from my friend in UK that, that certificate from MKU cannot be used for English Language requirement and IT HAS TO BE one from Mumbai University from where I did my BCom.

Can anyone please clarify this?

Also I read the new Tier 1 rules and feel that the above ambiguity/partiality is removed and even people like me who have done BCom/BA-->MCA/Msc etc can now send say MCA cert. for Qualification and MCA English cert. for Eng. language requirement instead of the present MCA for qualification and BCom Univ. English language cert.

Kindly clarify both these questions since I am planning to apply for HSMP as soon as I get my Eng. cert. from MKU hopefully before end of March.

Thanks in advance.