ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Spouse want to apply 5 year route Visa

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Evicra
Member of Standing
Pakistan

EEA Spouse want to apply 5 year route Visa

Post by Evicra » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi.
my friends Visa for EEA spouse approved today for 5 year resident card . he got married in 2011. a lawer told him that he can apply for 5 year independent visa that will make him eligible for British passport or PR on its.

q1. was lawer right in saying that

q2 . if yes can you please guide me which application and guidance he should follow.

any suggestion is more than welcome

i hope i asked sensible questions

LiYu
Newly Registered

Re: EEA Spouse want to apply 5 year route Visa

Post by LiYu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:02 pm

If your friend just got a EEA Residence card, he's eligible for 5 years in the U.K. He can only apply for EEA Permanent Residence after 5 years in the U.K. whislt exercising his treaty rights. For British citienzenship, after 6 years. All of these years with no gaps longer than 6 months.

I think if you're friend's been married to her spouse for more than 6 years now, he probably can apply for EEA citienzship of his wife's European country.

I also believe that if you could say what was your friend status in the U.K. before the EEA RC and how long he's been in here, and in what status, we could be more precise to your questions.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm

LiYu wrote:If your friend just got a EEA Residence card, he's eligible for 5 years in the U.K. He can only apply for EEA Permanent Residence after 5 years in the U.K. whislt exercising his treaty rights. For British citienzenship, after 6 years. All of these years with no gaps longer than 6 months. For BC, absence must not exceed more than 90 days in the 12 month period prior to submitting the BC application and no more than 450 days in the qualifying period.

I think if you're friend's been married to her spouse for more than 6 years now, he probably can apply for EEA citienzship of his wife's European country. Very doubtful.
I also believe that if you could say what was your friend status in the U.K. before the EEA RC and how long he's been in here, and in what status, we could be more precise to your questions.
Note that it is the EEA national who must be exercising their Treaty rights during the 5 year period, not the Non-EU/EEA spouse :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

LiYu
Newly Registered

Post by LiYu » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:26 pm

@Casa, that's def right. But i was wondering what this person (the non EEA) would be doing for 5 years that s/he could later then apply for PR. :(

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:35 pm

LiYu wrote:@Casa, that's def right. But i was wondering what this person (the non EEA) would be doing for 5 years that s/he could later then apply for PR. :(
I'm not sure what you mean by 'what this person (non-EEA) would be doing for 5 years'? The EEA sponsor has to be employed or self-employed. If the sponsor is studying or claiming to be self-sufficient they would have to hold Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI) throughout the 5 year qualifying period.

It's irrelevant how the non-EEA spouse spends their time.

Unless the non-EEA national qualifies for a student visa (massive study fees) or for a Tier 2 visa as a skilled worker, he won't qualify for his own 5 year visa. Why would he want to :?:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.