ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time taken by companies to make a decision after interview

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ssingh179
Newly Registered

Time taken by companies to make a decision after interview

Post by ssingh179 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi All,

I am on a HSMP visa in the UK, landed here on Jan 11, and am looking for a job. I have about 9 years of work experience in embedded/DSP/multimedia domains.

I was interviewed by a company on Jan 31, it is almost two weeks now. The interview was arranged by a recruiter, and when I talked to him a few days back, he told me that they have not made a decision as yet, but as soon as they do, they will inform him, and he will in turn let me know.

So I presume that they are even now in the process of making a decision.

My question is - what is the (average) time taken by companies to inform a candidate about the decision made by them?

A friend of mine, who has been in the UK for the last 2 years tells me that at times companies take up to month to decide. Is that an accurate statement?

Thanks,
ssingh179

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:46 pm

They are scouting for other candidates. My advice would be don't bank on its outcome. Keep attending other interviews

ssingh179
Newly Registered

Post by ssingh179 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Thanks for the advice. Of course, I am not banking on getting an offer, it is just that the interview went well (they grilled me for almost 5 hours), and the job specification showed a good match with my skills.

I have not given up my job search, I am still looking, till I get a confirmed job offer. As a matter of fact, I have another face-to-face interview tomorrow :-)

Regds,
ssingh179

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:58 pm

That's the sad part about the recruitment process here in UK. You have an impressive CV. You go through several rounds of interview and all would have gone extremely well and after a month they say "You didn't make it", we gave the offer to another successful candidate....

Best of luck for your i'view 2morrow

ssingh179
Newly Registered

Post by ssingh179 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Well said, mate. That is exactly the way I feel as well.

Incidentally, I have a degree (B. Tech) in Electronics Engg. from IIT Kanpur, and even that does not affect any consultant or recruiter. I mean, I do not expect any preferential treatment, but yes, I do think that my alma mater adds weight to my CV.

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi,

Two issues.

One, unlike temp jobs, permanent jobs do take time. Sometimes even months. Depends on the Co. and the urgency of the job requirement. Some of my friends were working as Temps in their fields and kept attending permanent job interviews, till they got one. Some remain as Temps, as in few cases, the pay can be more than Perm.

Two, the consultant is negotiating with the Co. and they are not agreeing on certain issues. Happened to me between an asset mgmt co. and a leading recruiter here. But, i guess not in your case.

As I said in an another post - 75% of the jobs are not advertised. Since, you are from IIT why dont you try through ur IIT Circle. a quick search in Orkut, Facebook or maybe ur alumni website will reveal the guys working here and i'm sure there are high-paying jobs out there, suiting your profile. If someone, recommends you to their HR, the recruitment process might even be faster than usual.

So keep trying all avenues. Best of luck.

ssingh179 wrote:Well said, mate. That is exactly the way I feel as well.

Incidentally, I have a degree (B. Tech) in Electronics Engg. from IIT Kanpur, and even that does not affect any consultant or recruiter. I mean, I do not expect any preferential treatment, but yes, I do think that my alma mater adds weight to my CV.

ssingh179
Newly Registered

Post by ssingh179 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks, rsathish.

crusador0408
Member of Standing

hi

Post by crusador0408 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:55 am

yeah this is true..they take months to decide upon that. May go longer...
This is a good learning for me to prepare self for interviews n other stuff.
Its different unlike in India, if HR is under pressure to recruit a person in so many days they just go ahead n sometimes underperform

Good luck to you mate...keep us posted!

cheers
Harmandeep
I have my ILR since march 2013, previously based on HSMP+Tier1 ext. All views are my own, am not a professional on immigration matters.