ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship by descent and child born in Uk

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Pitujones
Newly Registered

Citizenship by descent and child born in Uk

Post by Pitujones » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:34 am

Hello

I was born in Spain in 1979, to a British father (born in the UK) and a Spanish mother.

I've been living in the UK since 2012 and have a little girl who was born here in 2012.

Can I ask for our passports directly or do I need to use UKF for me and MN1 for her?

Thank you so much for your help !!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Citizenship by descent and child born in Uk

Post by JAJ » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:16 am

Presumably- you've never been issued with a British passport before.

Were your parents married?
What's the citizenship/immigration status of the child's other parent?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Pitujones
Newly Registered

Post by Pitujones » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:56 pm

Sorry I forgot to say, The weren't married when I was born, but married years later. That seems to be the issue isn't it? It's easier when they are married :(

My husband is Spanish and have been living in the UK since 2012

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:14 am

Pitujones wrote:Sorry I forgot to say, The weren't married when I was born, but married years later. That seems to be the issue isn't it? It's easier when they are married
There are two issues here. Firstly, what is the history of your father's domicile? That will determine whether your legitimation would depend on the law of England, Scotland or Spain. If your parents were not married to anyone else when you were born, I would expect their subsequent marriage before your daughter was born, even as late as 2011, to have legitimated you, in which case, you and your child would already be British, so should simply apply for passports. Don't be surprised if you receive a questionnaire to determine your father's domicile.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:16 am

Pitujones wrote:Sorry I forgot to say, The weren't married when I was born, but married years later. That seems to be the issue isn't it? It's easier when they are married
As someone else has noted, whether or not you became British (by descent) on marriage of your parents depends on the domicile of your father. It's unusual for someone with a U.K. origin to lose a British domicile- and in that case you would have become British when your parents married- however it is possible you or your father may be asked questions regarding domicile. If there are likely to be any issues obtaining this it may be better to bypass the Passport Office and apply for a Nationality Status Certificate using form NS:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... us-form-ns

If this was refused, then you would need to apply for British citizenship using form UKF, and subsequently a form MN1 application for your child.

Have you looked into what impact (if any) obtaining British citizenship and/or a British passport will have for your Spanish citizenship?

In addition- you may want to seek advice as to the impact on your spouses's immigration status in the United Kingdom if you claim British citizenship or become British, if he or she was admitted under the EEA regulations. In particular, you may wish to ensure that he or she has documented Permanent Resident status- or better still, British citizenship- before claiming your own British citizenship.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction.

Pitujones
Newly Registered

Post by Pitujones » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:39 pm

My father lived in Spain and then in the UK after they separated.

My husband is Spanish so he is in the UK as a EU citizen, we will ask for AN for him as he will make 5 years this year.

For my Spanish citizenship I can maintain if I send an application to the consulate, but even if I had to lose it it will be ok as my life is the UK.