ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR afte 6 year DLR under family life

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

21elegance
Newly Registered

ILR afte 6 year DLR under family life

Post by 21elegance » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum but have read with interest the helpful advice/suggestions from forum members and moderators. I have one question and would be grateful for some guidance

I am due to apply for ILR after 6 years of DLR (2 x 3years). In both occasions of DLR being granted, I was given under the category of family life as I was living with my partner (who had ILR) and my daughter who is currently under 16years old and British. My partner and I divorced last year and I was given custody of my daughter who is currently in a boarding school being paid by me.

My question is will the fact that I am divorced affect my ILR application? or will the fact that I have responsibility of my daughter go in my favour?

Some sound advice much appreciated

Thank you

Obie
Ireland

Re: ILR afte 6 year DLR under family life

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Looks like there has been a material change of circumstances. You have divorced, secondly the chid i's at boarding school and may be seen as not needing you.

How often do you see her?
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 pm

Obie wrote:Looks like there has been a material change of circumstances. You have divorced, secondly the chid i's at boarding school and may be seen as not needing you.

Obie, I believe that the OP being the legal custodian of the child will go in their favour, together with being responsible for paying the boarding school fees.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I am not disputing he will be disqualified for residence, however under the DLR system, common sense is not usually applied.

I remember a woman on this forum several years back, who was refused because she ceased to resided with her non-national husband who had subjected her to domestic violence.

Even though both of them did not have leave, and leave was obtained through their children and following the abuse an injunction was placed against the guy, they still refused on the basis that there has been a change in family structure.

21elegance
Newly Registered

Post by 21elegance » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Obie wrote:Looks like there has been a material change of circumstances. You have divorced, secondly the chid i's at boarding school and may be seen as not needing you.

Thanks Casa and Obie for your response. I visit her weekly in school. If I was deported or refused ILR she wouldn't be able to continue her education as the father does not contribute towards her upkeep let alone her education.

Also what will the alternative be for me? Do you know of any good law firm/solicitors and could talk to about my case in anticipation?

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:30 pm

Just for the avoidance of doubt, i am not suggesting that you will not get permission to stay, my only concern is if they will consider that the circumstance surrounding your grant, did not last for the entire 6 years.

sweetpie7
Newly Registered

Post by sweetpie7 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:44 am

Put documents and proof to show your relationship with your daughter and the importance of the bond. I just receieved my ILR Last week and was briefly seperated from my husband for 9 month but only came back just a month before application. I showed proof we are together and was given ILR. Pray for favour too.

21elegance
Newly Registered

Post by 21elegance » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

Obie wrote:Just for the avoidance of doubt, i am not suggesting that you will not get permission to stay, my only concern is if they will consider that the circumstance surrounding your grant, did not last for the entire 6 years.
Thanks Obie, I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes HO does not apply logic to cases and you are right it might be a challenging one for me.

Are you guys allowed as moderators to recommend any good solicitors for members on this forum? I might be worth me seeking further legal guidance and clarifications.

Will keep you posted

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:17 pm

No moderators and members of the forum, are not strictly speaking permitted to mention or recommend any legal firms in the UK.

When are you due to apply for ILR?