ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of Name and British Passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

achilles2

Change of Name and British Passport

Post by achilles2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 am

Hello,

I need some advice please.

I now have my Certificate of Naturalisation and I want to apply for a British Passport but at the same time I want to change my name. This is so that I can use an anglised version of my name in the UK (I also have a passport from an EU country).

I was under the impression that all I had to do is change my name by Deed Poll and send my Certificate of Natruralisation and Deed Poll document to the Passport Office. But I have just read that the Passport Office also want proof of use of the new name such as Bank Statement. I was only planning to change my name with the Bank once I got the British Passport in my new name since I could then use it as proof of ID.

If I apply for British Passport just with the Deed Poll document and Certificate are they going to reject it? Or should I try to change my name with the Bank first?

Thanks,

A.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Change of Name and British Passport

Post by CR001 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:51 pm

You could have problems. My suggestion would be to apply in your current name, then change it by deed poll and then reapply for a passport.

Many tales of woe on the forum of refused passports.

british-citizenship/new-policy-regardin ... 16754.html

british-citizenship/passport-refused-un ... 83170.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

achilles2

Post by achilles2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:25 pm

Thank you CR001, I've read through the threads you provided.

So if I do the following:
- Change my name by Deed Poll.
- Use Deed Poll to change my name with the Bank I have an account with and get a Bank Statement in the new name.
- Obtain evidence that my country of origin does not allow changes in my EU Passport (as per the new name policy published in 2016).

Then I will be able to get a British Passport in my new name (being different to the one in my EU passport).

Agreed?

Raff113
Poland

Post by Raff113 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:20 am

HMPO will not issue you a passport with a name different to what you have on your existing passport. I did try this and no success. I am dual Polish- British citizen, and had to change my name on my polish passport first (nothing but hassle) and only then would HMPO issue me a british passport with my new name.